Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers of the 3rd Wellington Mounted Rifles - forenames ?

grannysrock

post-13556-1157845002.jpgHi,

This cutting appears in my ggg uncle's acrapbook. I am wondering if the Lieutenant-Colonel Pringle is a relative - how would I found out his first name?

thanks for any advice

Sally

Possibly

Colonel David Pringle - Home Service

Colonel, Commanding Officer, Q.Alexandra's 2nd (Wellington West Coast) Mounted Rifles

awarded CBE for valuable services rendered in connection with the war London Gazette 3 June 1919 page 7005

When Archway http://archway.archives.govt.nz/

reopens later today, check to see whether there is anything on him

Many thanks Christine,

If this is indeed a relative of the family, there is a David Pringle in my family tree who would have been my "most likely" candidate - if only because I can't trace him after the Boer war ! My relative David Pringle was a sergeant-major in the Imperial Yeomanry - is it likely he could have been a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Wellington Mounted Rifles 14 year later ?

On Archway there are 2 WW1 entries for David Pringle - but one has Mark as a middle name ( which mine didn't ) - If I ordered the personnel file / got someone to look it up - would it hold info like date and place of birth ?

Thanks again

Sally

I would think there would be some evidence of age, but maybe not place of birth. Have you any idea of his location? It might be worth checking electoral rolls.

I would think there would be some evidence of age, but maybe not place of birth. Have you any idea of his location? It might be worth checking electoral rolls.

None whatsoever - I don't know for definite David went to New Zealand .

I"ll try the archives.

thanks

Sally

• 4 years later...
Guest KiwiMike

Sally

This David Pringle is my great grandfather, he was born in Wellington New Zealand in 1857 and

died in Palmerston North NZ in 1936. He had no middle name to my knowledge. He served in

the Manawatu Mounted Rifles. Do you have any more photos? I was thrilled to see this one as I

only have one photo of him. I do have his ceremonial sword and medals in my possesion. I hope

this clears things up for you.

Regards Mike

What are the medals he's wearing?

Guest KiwiMike

Dependant on the year of the photo, the earliest medal would be

12 year of service 1903 Manawatu Mounted Rifles (Capt Pringle)

I'm not sure of the other one but it could be

For long and loyal service 1907 Wellington Mounted Rifles (Capt Adjt Pringle)

Also pre dating both of those is a medal to commemorate the 60th year of

Queen Victorias reign.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike et al,

He is wearing the 1897 Jubilee medal and the NZ Volunteer Service Medal as the photo dates from around 1906 - his NZLESM being issued in 1907 as you point out.

I've sent you an email regarding Pringle, as he will appear in my book on the NZ recipients of the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Decoration.

Cheers

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike

I just noticed your message ! I'm glad David had found his true descendant ! . I had worked out in the intervening years that he wasn't my Boer War David ( although I still can't work out where he went to).

I don't think your David is in any more photos in the scrapbook. Based on your dates I will try to work out if you and I are related further back in time !

Cheers

Sally

Archived