Remembered Today:

Its A Long Way To Stalybridge Market...

HarryBettsMCDCM

It's A Long Way To Tipperary,became the anthem of a Generation,throughout the Great War & beyond,it's composer one Jack Judge has achieved his own Immortality in a Statue placed in Stalybridge Market,

A Music Hall performer & Fish stall operator @ the Market he responded to a Challenge to write a song to perform @ the Grand Theatre within a day "Long Way" was the result,of a collaboration between Judge & his friend Horace Vernon,& was composed in the New Market Inn,on 31st January 1912.

The rest as they say is history...

The Statue was unveiled earlier this year & depicts Jack Judge seated;conversing with a Soldier in Khaki.

And a link to Judges Wine Bar (on the site of the New Market) and a piccie of the plaque to Judge that's been there for donkey's ages. I've posted this before but it's obviously been deleted for being in bad taste (or whatever).

Click here

John

At the risk of creating a North - South divide:

Henry "Harry" Williams's grave at Temple Balsall, Warwickshire. Harry lived nearby at Meer End near Kenilworth. He was the co-author of the song and ran ran the pub there, which is now called the Tipperary Inn. There is commemorative plaque in the pub to both men from circa 1920 and a photograph of them together. Harry's cottage is a 100 yards from the pub, with a plaque above the door. Jack Judge was born in Oldbury and Henry at Aston, Birmingham. I can post some more photo's if you can stomach it!

post-21-1157828558.jpg

At the risk of creating a North - South divide:

Cor blimey. Never thought I'd see Terry Reeves suggesting Warwickshire was "southern".

And, as an aside, here's another link to a piece in the Tameside Advertiser, which also mentions the Borough's on-going project to identify men from the Denton area who served. Tameside's Archivist is also Archivist for the Manchester Regiment collection - and I know he reads the Forum regularly and is bound to be drawn to the thread (so here's a very leery photo of him :P )

clickety click

Judge,Williams & Vernon~3 co writers of the song so far;that's nearly as many as for an episode of "Friends!" any more for any more...

Thanks John & Terry