Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Green Tickets

MelPack

Hello

Here is an extract from the diary of 8th Battalion Royal Berks dated 3rd May 1916:

A dispatch, dated May 4th, from GHQ France contained the following reference to this raid:-

"At the Double Crassiur we followed a mine explosion by a small raid, which was successful. Hostile dug-outs were bombed and casualties inflicted."

As a result of the fine behaviour of the raiding party and the success of the raid the following awards were made:-

The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief has under authority granted by His Majesty The King, awarded the following decorations:-

THE MILITARY CROSS.

Lieut D.J. FOOTMAN.

THE DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL.

No 16116 Corporal S.J. SMITH.

THE MILITARY MEDAL.

No 16362 Lce/Corp C. RUFF.

No 12197 Pte E. EDWARDS

Authority 1st Divisional Routine Order No 98 d/29.5.16.

The undermentioned men were awarded "Green Tickets" by GOC 1st Division as an appreciation of their good work and courage on the night of the raid.

No 16508 Sergt H. BENNET.

No 17932 Corp E.J.R. PEARCEY.

No 18539 Corp G. FERRIS.

No 18481 Pte G.W. BELCHER.

No 19023 Pte A. HOUSE.

No 18661 Pte W.G. HEAVER.

No 13378 Pte P. STEEL.

What exactly were 'Green Tickets'? Did they confer any priveleges such as leave?

Regards

Mel

The 'Combined Leave and Railway ticket' was green at that time. They may have been granted leave.

Chris Henschke

Chris

Thanks for that information. It sounds like one hell of an incentive scheme. :P

Regards

Mel

There is also a similar entry for 15th June 1916:

The undermentioned NCOs and men were granted cards by the GOC 1st Division in recognition of their good work and courage on the night of May 27th.

1st Class Cards:

No 10089 Sergt S. FUDGE.

No 18515 Sergt W.A.C. TITCHENER.

No 18208 Corporal W. MIDDLETON.

No 18232 Private G. WALTERS.

No 18424 Private C.C. DANCE.

2nd Class Cards:

No 17980 Private H.J. HOSIER.

No 18220 Private A.W. CHANDLER.

Are these the same as the 'Green tickets' and why the use of categories?

I read somewhere that the Commanders of some Divisions gave out a sort of private Mentioned in Dispatches for their divisions , perhaps these were the green tickets , seem to recall some sort of sleeve badge as well .

Just can't recall where I read it .

Chris

Found it , Osprey men-at-arms series - British Battle Insignia 1914-18.

" Some British divisional commanders instituted awards which became known as battle badges , the award took the form of a certificate and a badge usually worn on the sleeve of the SD jacket ".

Green ticket ?.

Chris

There was a thread on divisional certificates/commendations on the forum recently, I can't remember where it was/what is was titled but I'm sure a search would find it.

Regards,

Neil

• 13 years later...
On 09/09/2006 at 14:25, MelPack said:

Hello

Here is an extract from the diary of 8th Battalion Royal Berks dated 3rd May 1916:

A dispatch, dated May 4th, from GHQ France contained the following reference to this raid:-

"At the Double Crassiur we followed a mine explosion by a small raid, which was successful. Hostile dug-outs were bombed and casualties inflicted."

As a result of the fine behaviour of the raiding party and the success of the raid the following awards were made:-

The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief has under authority granted by His Majesty The King, awarded the following decorations:-

THE MILITARY CROSS.

Lieut D.J. FOOTMAN.

THE DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL.

No 16116 Corporal S.J. SMITH.

THE MILITARY MEDAL.

No 16362 Lce/Corp C. RUFF.

No 12197 Pte E. EDWARDS

Authority 1st Divisional Routine Order No 98 d/29.5.16.

The undermentioned men were awarded "Green Tickets" by GOC 1st Division as an appreciation of their good work and courage on the night of the raid.

No 16508 Sergt H. BENNET.

No 17932 Corp E.J.R. PEARCEY.

No 18539 Corp G. FERRIS.

No 18481 Pte G.W. BELCHER.

No 19023 Pte A. HOUSE.

No 18661 Pte W.G. HEAVER.

No 13378 Pte P. STEEL.

What exactly were 'Green Tickets'? Did they confer any priveleges such as leave?

Regards

Mel