Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Trench Detectives. Channel 5 England

Tommy Atkins

Anyone watching it? Out of four programmes ( Mons, Somme, Ypers, and Serre) already aired three of ‘the digs’ have centred round German soldiers remains. I can’t help think this is a wasted opportunity to reunite some long lost Tommies with their familys.

Tommy.

Have a look at this thread which is discussing various aspects of this series.

The archeologist can only investigate what they find, if they find German remains rather than British ones that is not something they can control. Personally I find it just as interesting.

Neil

Cheers Neil

I spose you're right about what they dig up. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the series. I meant Loos when I said Mons BTW.

It seems this Board is so big whenever I post it's been done before somewhere else. Thanks for the heads up on the Chit Chat side. I'll add my comments to that thread from now on.

Cheers.

can’t help think this is a wasted opportunity to reunite some long lost Tommies with their familys.

The archeologist can only investigate what they find, if they find German remains rather than British ones that is not something they can control.

I do not wish to turn this into an emotive thread however I can not see that there is less value in reuniting a German soldier with his family than there is in doing so for a Tommy. All are equal in death.

As for the series I have yet to watch it as I have recorded the episides for a 'rainyday'.

Dave

I never intended to sound as if it were of less value to reunite the remains of fallen Germans with their families and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I, personally, find more interest in hearing about the lives and adventures on the British side of things.

Tommy

Thank-you for the clarification. No offence taken or intended on my part.

Dave.

:rolleyes:

Tommy.

Don't worry about re raising topics that have come up before. There is no WW1 topic that has been completely dealt with on this forum (or any other for that matter). Some people can get a bit picky about topics coming up time and time again but ignore them (if they don't want to contribute they don't have to!).

Welcome to the Forum.

Neil

We would have liked to identify every remain we found. The first that appeared turned out to be the lower half of a British soldier wearing partial equipment. All of the uniform bits and ID tags that might have been with him were lost as a result. National identity is something we cannot predict. The two Germans at Serre were found close to the lone British soldier however their deaths were over a year apart so you can see it is only a matter of chance that they are found in the first place.

Ralph

Tommy.

Don't worry about re raising topics that have come up before. There is no WW1 topic that has been completely dealt with on this forum (or any other for that matter). Some people can get a bit picky about topics coming up time and time again but ignore them (if they don't want to contribute they don't have to!).

Welcome to the Forum.

Neil

I welcome re-raising of topics. After a decent interval. There are usually a thousand or more new members who haven`t had a chance to contribute. And the old members can air their prejudices again! Phil B

Ralph,

I have been away at work for the majority of these programs so have not only missed watching, but also recording them. Do you know if there is any intention to issue a DVD of the series, or are the rights now with the TV Company??

Regards

Steve