Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Canal du Nord September 1918

tony.vds

Hello,

My great uncle L/Cpl 633874 Arthur J Pridgeon of the 2/20th Bn. The London Regiment was KIA on 27th September 1918 in the area of Havrincourt. He is buried at Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery.

I have obtained accounts of the events of that day from the 62nd Division history, also from the history of the Second Twentieth.

There are some discrepancies between the two accounts but the best bet seems to be that "At 8.15am, just as the West Yorkshires began to move off, the enemy's guns swept the area with heavy shellfire. Twenty men became casualties".

[/size]

I think this must have been the point at which Arthur died. The Second Twentieth history shows 23 other ranks killed on the day,of which 21 were KIA and 2 DOW.

I would be most grateful for any other information the pals may have that would help to confirm or otherwise this account of events that morning. In particular I have not been able to find any trench maps of the area. Any information or guidance would be deeply appreciated.

Tony

In Amiens to the Armistice J P Harris records that on the 27th September 1918 Haldane's VI Corps, including the 62nd West Riding Division took Flesquires and Riecourt. Some soldiers of the 62nd Division are mentioned as having got as far as Marcoing although they were unable to hold the position. I am afraid that that is probably not much help but it is all that I can find. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Jon