Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailly-Sur-La-Lys Churchyard

Tonym

Right Then. This photograph is the one currently disp[layed on the CWGC Certificates

post-1946-1157646924.jpg

The one below is currently displayed on the Silent Cities website, both taken from almost the same spot. Can anyone tell me what happened to the Cross of Sacrifice on the CWGC photo?

Tony,

First, until recently the CWGC had the incorrect photo posted on their Web-Site :D .

My Uncle's Grave is Number A1, in the plot at the corner of the Hedge.

I do understand some CWGC photos were taken many years ago.The Cross is in the CWGC photo.I have always assumed it was under construction or undergoing maintenance when the photo was taken.

George

p.s. If you look further down this Forum Section you'll find a Thread dated 29 August 2006(Pte John Souness,8th Royal Scots).A similar photo to the one you posted is shown,plus a photo of part of the Plot in WW1.

Thanks dycer for your reply.

You say that the cross is in the CWGC photo but the one that I have displayed (The first one) is what CWGC are currently displaying, I tried about six different certificates and they are all the same, I have even tried the one that you mentioned the "Before and After" and that is the same. I agree that there is a base there but no cross. You will also notice that in the Silent Cities photo there are three memorial stones in front of the cross but in the CWGC photo they are not there. So it is either an old photo before the Cross of Sacrifice was completed, or the cross had probably collapsed and smashed the three stones in front of it?????

Where's Terry Denham?

Tony

Don't know if this helps but this one was taken in 2002:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/Cemeteries/SAILL...SCHURCHYARD.htm

As far as I can tell in all photograps the three stones in front of the cross are there. In the picture where the cross is missing there is one stone missing and replaced by a temp. sign. Indication of major maintanance?

Regards,

Marco

Tony,

I think we can only speculate as to when the Official CWGC Photo was taken,unless Terry can elicit that info from the Commission.

I first visited the Cemetery in 1999,and the photo Dave has posted under my Relative's name was taken then.

When I accessed the CWGC Web-Site some years later I discovered that the CWGC were displaying another Sailly Cemetery photo,for the Churchyard,and through Terry's kind efforts the photo was amended to the the one that is now displayed.

I would suggest that the CWGC Photo is an early one.If you look at the other photos,the Hedge behind the Cross is more mature.

This makes me think the CWGC photo is an early one when the Cemetery was under construction or maintenance.

Two other things that spring to mind.It is clear that there were graves,at least along part of the length of the current hedge, and these have been moved.See the War time photo.The ground may have been unstable where the Cross is and required strengthening.Secondly there is one WW2 Grave in the Plot,could the Cemetery have been damaged in 1940?To be honest,I think this unlikely and feel the CWGC Photo was taken pre-WW2.

You will understand when I say. I am less interested in the photos of the Plot and am more concerned that a certain individual lying within continues to be well cared for.

George

George

I understand your interest. I was not making an issue it was the fact that the CWGC photo was so dismal compared with the Silent Cities version. I assume that the cross is now OK.

Tony

Tony,

No offence taken :D

I can understand your surprise when a Nephew of a 1915 Casualty responds to your question.

Both times I have visited the Cross was fine.

It's a nice Cemetery to visit,although the CWGC directions are not clear.

If you ever visit.There is/was a Restaurant near-by that does a nice lunch.(Egg and Pomme Frites) Well it did in 1999 and 2000.Great Nephew John preferred the Seafood Salad though :lol:

Best wishes

George