Remembered Today:

Delville Wood & High Wood 1916

squirrel

Can anybody suggest where I can find detailed but concise descriptions of the actions that took place in the two woods between July and Septemeber'16? Needs to be something downloadable. Any assistance much appreciated.

Can anybody suggest where I can find detailed but concise descriptions of the actions that took place in the two woods between July and Septemeber'16? Needs to be something downloadable. Any assistance much appreciated.

If you also want to read up on what happened I'd suggest the Official History Volume on the Somme. You want the one entitled, France and Belgium 1916. Vol II. 2nd July 1916 to the end of the Battles of the Somme. OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR.

See this link:

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...et.htm&-new

I've found this book to be quite invaluable in pinpointing a lot recently, especially with other sources.

Steve

Hi,

On the 15th of September the New Zealand Division advanced in what has become known as the Battle of Flers. They started thier attack positioned in between the two woods. A book ' On my way tho the Somme' written by Andy McDonald is an excellent account of the New Zealanders time at the Somme.

regards Aaron.

I have found Ian Uys two books - Delville Wood and Rollcall - of inestimable value. However, they are hardcopy and you want downloadable. How about the Website of the South African Military History Society - whose more recent papers are on line - my note as to how to contact them is http://rapidttp.com/milhist/vol132hp - which would put you in the right direction.

Kathie