Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Frank Merritt

PBI

Any information on this Man very welcome,he has a connection with Carshalton,Surrey,and was KIA in 1918.I was wondering what action He was killed in.??

It just so happens that I have "soldiers Died in the Great War - Tank Corps" out of the library at the moment. Below is the entry for your man:

Pte. Frank Robert Merritt.

Born: Carshalton, Surrey.

Enlisted: Wallington, Surrey.

Formerly No: 11174, The Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment.

Tank Corps No: 75395

Killed in action: 25/04/18.

I would guess from the above details that Pte. Merritt transferred to the Tank Corps around Christmas 1916, as my Great Uncle has number 75915 and he joined the Tanks in January 1917.

It sounds to me like the poor chap died stemming the German advance. If you're sure about the battalion you should be able to check their movements at the time of his death by looking at the War Diary at Kew. Alternatively some luminary from the forum will hopefully be able to tell you!

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks very much indeed for your Help..much appreciated.

Tank Corps of Honour confirms his name, inital, number and place of birth. The CWGC states he is buried at Morbecque and, as Ian says, this was used for casualties during the German advance on the Lys.

Liddel Hart records no tanks were used to delay the enmy but Lewis gun teams from I and IV Tank Bdes (including 4th Bn) earned much credit for defeating the advance. He also states "from a higher point of view it was a waste of skilled tankmen. as the casualties they suffered in this dismounted fighting jepardised the future."

Stephen