Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika front postcards

DCS

I've acquired a small collection of postcards from the Salonika front, and have been scanning them lately - here are a couple of them.

#1 Salonica - General Sarrail with his Staff

France26.jpg

#2 War 1914-15...In the Balkans

On-board the "Provence", General Sarrail going to the "St-Louis"

France4.jpg

The Christmas Greeting card seems to crop up quite regularly. Salonika postcards are a fascinating mix of the french imports and the local greek productions and there are some interesting cards of further west to be found as well.

One series that has always intruiged me is one of the red light district in Thessaloniki. It shows the ladies (dressed) but captions refer to "negotiations" and "bargaining" in an oddly honest way for the period.

It is an interesting mix; besides the French and Greek productions, quite a few of these cards were Italian. The first one, of Gen. Sarrail and his staff, is one example.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to see these! My grandfather, Richard William Sollars - Surrey Yeomanry B Squadron - 28th Division Cavalary records in his WW1 diary

April 9 - 20 men go to headquarters for ceremon.. parade

April 10 - rehearsal of ceremony

April 12 - grand march past, General Sarrail.

He was in Salonica during this period. I'm new to all this research, so it is great to find a picture of General Sarrail.

Thanks for sharing them with us!

Claire