Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Uniform 1WW?

l.harding

Can anyone help identify this uniform - it was thought to be of a solider of 1WW and either KSLI or Somerset LI. It doesn't look familiar, particularly the cap, and part of the badge on his sleeve is not showing in the photo.

Any help gratefully received, as usual!

Lesley Harding

post-9968-1157563312.jpg

Hello,

The 'forage' cap and style of collar suggest No1 Dress and hence possibly a 'peace time' picture. The grenade/bursting bomb badges suggest gunner, sapper or fusilier. The cap badge could well be fusilier. The sleeve badge looks like that of an RQMS or ORQMS and, I think, later than WW1. I expect someone knows better!

Old Tom

The standard (and resolution) of the photography makes me think it's far later than WW1 -possibly even 1940s. The relative youth of the subject compared to the rank even makes me think he's an Army Cadet.

post-7376-1157573486.jpg

Lesley

It's the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who post-WWI and after the partition of the Irish Republic were the only Fusilier regiment left to wear the plain brass bomb collar badge as illustrated.

Graham.

Forgot to add he's wearing 'Blues', which eventually became the standard No.1 Dress uniform, but as I can't see the red piping on the shoulder strap it may be of an earlier pattern.