Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

AM 3 J C Pettit- Adriatic Group RAF

I have just acquired the WW1 scroll to AM 3 John Charles Petitt who was killed in action on 23rd August 1918 whilst with the Adriatic Group RAF. From the other information with the scroll , he was killed in air combat.

My questions are : what was the Adriatic Group? and what squadron might he have been with when killed? was it unusual for non commissioned ranks to be in combat?

Very grateful for any answers.

Regards

Andrew

He was with 6 (Adriatic) Group and was killed in action while observer in a DH.9. The pilot was 2/Lt Joseph Philip Corkery (a Canadian) who was also killed.

Info from 'Airmen Died in the Great War'.

Interestingly, 2/Lt Corkery is also given as being killed in DH.4 (serial D1761) with Lt E.C.Bragg on 22.08.18 in 'The DH4/DH9 File' by Sturtivant and Page.

Can't both be right!

Thanks Terry.

I had found Corkery's name on the Doiran Memorial and wondered if he was Pettit's pilot

Did they belong to a squadron ? or was No6 Group the same as a squadron?

If you type in "225270 pettit" into google, you will find some letters that he wrote to his relatives.

Regards

Andrew

The RAF Order of Battle on 11.11.18 shows 6 (Adriatic) Group to consist of....

- HQ (Taranto)

- 66th Wing consisting of 263 Sqdn, 359, 435 & 436 Flights (Otranto) plus 441 Flight (St Maria de Leuca) (all with a mixture of aircraft). 224 Sqdn, 496, 497 and 498 Flights (Pizzone - with DH.4/9s). 225 Sqdn, 481, 482 & 483 Flights (Pizzone - with Camels).

- 67th Wing consisting of 227 Sqdn (being formed at Taranto), 499, 550 & 551 Flights (Pizzone - with DH.4/9s). 271 Sqdn, 357, 358 & 367 Flights (Taranto - with Short 184s)

Terry

He served in 66th Wing and by elimination of two out of three squadrons, the only one he could have served in was 224 Squadron which was flying DH9s from June 1918.

Is there a squadron log I could look at eg at NA?

Andrew

Terry

He served in 66th Wing and by elimination of two out of three squadrons, the only one he could have served in was 224 Squadron which was flying DH9s from June 1918.

Is there a squadron log I could look at eg at NA?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, just a little snippet on his pilot Corkery, he was indeed a Canadian, havinf served first as a Private 535992 in the 15th Canadian Field Ambulance.

Regards Duncan

Thnks for that Terry, I will see what they have.

Cheers

Andrew

per ardua per mare per terram

Neither of them are mentioned in Norman MacMillan, 'Offensive Patrol :the Story of the RNAS,RFC and RAF in Italy 1917-18' (ISBN: 0091161800). An old book but it gives you a feel of what they were doing.

• 8 years later...
David_Blanchard

I also have a personal memoir that gives the impression he was the pilot with A F Hodgskin who was killed on the 9 September- and I thought his pilot was called Pickton!

hopefully Trevor H. will see this & provide the definitive answer from his book THE SKY THEIR BATTLEFIELD, 2. Or someone with the book can look it up. Given his rank he likely flew as a gunner maybe due to shortage of qualified observers. The guns needed to be manned on the missions & he was no doubt trained to operate Lewis guns so up he went. Hope the circumstances of their loss can be identified.

David_Blanchard

Having re read the memoir- I get the impression Hodgskin was the observer when Corkery was killed, but survived only to be killed on 9 September when the pilot was Picken- during a raid on Cattaro.

• 3 years later...

Hello from Canada. I have just joined. I find this all extremely interesting. Joseph Philip Corkery was my great uncle. His sister was my grandmother. I am working on our family history. I can get the Canadian information on Corkery from The Canadian Virtual War Museum on line. But I cannot get the English information. I tried the Archives in Kew but only got a snippet of info for my 3 pounds. Corkery also got 3 medals. I suppose I will never be able to track those down unfortunately.

I started researching The Great War on November 11, 2017 as that is Armistice Day in Canada and a statutory holiday in almost every province. Now I am hooked. Can't read enough on it. Maybe you can give me the names of the books you were talking about in this thread. I would like to know more about the Adriatic group.

Thank you!

Catherine,

2/Lt J.P. Corkery was shot down on 23 August 1918 during a raid on the Austro-German naval base in the Bocche di Cattaro, Southern Dalmatia, in the Lower Adriatic (today the place is called Boka Kotorska, Montenegro). He was flying in a formation made up of two Airco DH4s and two Airco DH9s from No.224 Sqn (No.66 Wing, Adriatic Group), which at that time was based at Andrano in the Salentine Peninsula (Apulia, Southern Italy). Your great uncle's formation was intercepted by a number of Austro-Hungarian fighters - two of them flown by 'aces' - and unfortunately his DH4 (serial: D1761) was shot down, probably in flames. With him, his observer/gunner (Pte. J.C. Pettit) also lost his life. An A-H torpedo-boat rescued some parts of D1761, but the bodies of the two crewmen could not be found. 

The whole episode is described on pp 279-283 of my book 'In the Skies of Forgotten Courage' (published by Aeronaut Books) which focuses on the RNAS and RAF units in the Adriatic in 1917-1918 (including, of course, the Adriatic Group). 

I hope it's not against the rules of this forum to post a link to the page of the book (if it is, I kindly request the Administrator to remove this post please).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skies-Forgotten-Courage-Adriatic-1917-1918/dp/1935881620/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532635455&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=andrea+casarrubea

Regards.

Andrea

Edited by Ago

Andrea,

Thank you very much for this information on my great-uncle. I never would have imagined being given so much valuable, detailed and interesting facts about  him. I feel honoured to be a descendent of such a courageous man. Your research, time and passion for this subject is inspirational and, I am sure, appreciated by many. 

I can hardly wait for my copy of your book to arrive.

Catherine

Edited by Guest
Bold type instead of regualr