Remembered Today:

Taking a car to F&F

Jonathan Saunders

Taking my car across shortly for the first time in years. Would appreciate if someone could update me with the latest regulations required to drive in France and Belgium, ie must carry a florescent vest? first aid kit? etc

Thanks in advance,

Jon S

X1 Fluorescent Jacket.

X1 First Aid Kit.

X1 Fire Extinguisher.

X1 Set of spare Bulbs for Vehicle.

X1 Warning Triangle.

X1 GB Vehicle Sticker.

Make sure your insurance is extended for the country you are visiting,also you might need a green Card,make sure that you have travel ins and International Breakdown Cover.Dont Drink the Water in France and you should be just Fine..keep to the speed limits when leaving Calais,as the Cops seem to pick on UK Drivers sometimes.

X1 Fluorescent Jacket.

X1 First Aid Kit.

X1 Fire Extinguisher.

X1 Set of spare Bulbs for Vehicle.

X1 Warning Triangle.

X1 GB Vehicle Sticker.

Make sure your insurance is extended for the country you are visiting,also you might need a green Card,make sure that you have travel ins and International Breakdown Cover.Dont Drink the Water in France and you should be just Fine..keep to the speed limits when leaving Calais,as the Cops seem to pick on UK Drivers sometimes.

Fluorescent jackets are not yet compulsory in France. Neither is a first-aid kit. You don't need a separate GB sticker if you have the EU-style number plates with the EU stars & GB on the left.

Despite what all the ferry companies tell you, a warning triangle isn't compulsory in France either. You need to have either a triangle or hazard lights, and obviously all cars have hazards these days. I think I have heard though that if you are broken down and are using hazards but not a triangle and someone crashes into you, you may be prosecuted. Don't know if that's correct.

If a bulb goes while you are abroad, you have to have the means to change it there and then or face a fine, so a set of spare bulbs is a must.

P.S. From experience nobody gives a stuff about the rules anyway. It seems that people don't even care about displaying GB stickers any more.

It only takes a keen copper at Calais though, so better to be safe than sorry...

Guest KevinEndon

GB stickers are not required if your number plate has the 12 stars of the EU and GB in the blue box.

What the French hate most is the non use of headlight deflectors because the way ours are set it hits them like being on full beam.

I agree with scragend all reccomended but not the law I have just returned from france/ ieper last weekend I know this sounds stupid but as long as the driver is near the pavement you know you are on the correct side but get break down cover for europe,its much much more fun to do it at your pace not that of an operator

Trouble is,if you do get pulled,and you havent got the Above,you can get a hefty on the spot fine,and if you havent got the Dosh your Car is impounded.Better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the replies. I like to keep on the correct side of the law although I realise the chances are I wont need these accessories!

Taking a car to F&F, what do you need to take

Money. Lotsa lotsa money.

Just got back from a week in France. Now going into receivership

Taking my car across shortly for the first time in years. Would appreciate if someone could update me with the latest regulations required to drive in France and Belgium, ie must carry a florescent vest? first aid kit? etc

Thanks in advance,

Jon S

Jon - You'll need a big empty box. Upon arrival in France/Flanders it is mandatory to fill the box with high quality beer products. Kwak is an absolute & if in Flanders this needs to be complimented with a dozen or so bottles of Passchendaele. The box must then be sealed. Once back in dear old blighty, instead of driving home you must continue north via the M25 & M1 until you reach the fair city of Milton Keynes. The box must then be deposited at the residence of one Mr W.J O'Brien. ;)

Jon - You'll need a big empty box. Upon arrival in France/Flanders it is mandatory to fill the box with high quality beer products. Kwak is an absolute & if in Flanders this needs to be complimented with a dozen or so bottles of Passchendaele. The box must then be sealed. Once back in dear old blighty, instead of driving home you must continue north via the M25 & M1 until you reach the fair city of Milton Keynes. The box must then be deposited at the residence of one Mr W.J O'Brien. ;)

Not quite what I had in mind but you correct right to assume this is in fact a covert operation (or was) to bring home the last remaining bottles of Passch to be found in Belgium :P

Don't forget the headlamp beam blank-outs. You can DIY with black insulating tape or paint on tyre-wall black and remove with white spirit later. As per the advice above - this may be ignored by many others, but you will wish you had them if pulled over.

Ian