Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A.S. Eugenie

Neil Mackenzie

My great uncle from Devon was working aboard the AS Eugenie in the Gilbert Islands in 1913. He left a ship in Sydney (may have been another one) to join up and served and died in the AIF.

Can anyone advise on how I might find out more information on this ship? I don't even know exactly what AS stands for (Australian Schooner?). I have found a 'Eugenie' on the internet but that one seems to have been a passenger ship and my great uncle talks about waiting for the 'Tambo' to pick up their mail and copra.

Nothing to do with the naval war I know but I still thought this was the best place for this thread.

Many thanks.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Neil

This is an Auxiliary Schooner,with engine,as opposed to only sail power.

You MAY find more details in a Lloyd's List for 1913 or thereabouts.as it seems to be a cargo vessel.

Best wishes,

Sotonmate

Neil

Missed a bit about TAMBO. I would put my money on it being an Australian-registered cargo ship as there is an Australian river of that name. Maybe a kind Aussie correspondent could point you in the direction of more details on this vessel,which may or may not help you quest.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate.

Thank you so much for your replies - I was half expecting not to get any response to this query at all!.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Neil

I've been to the Library and took a peek into the Lloyd's List for 1914-5. There is one EUGENIE sailing vessel (Register No 739),reduced somewhat from the 7 of the same name listed in the 1899-1900 volume. This remaining vessel was French built in 1894,of all wooden construction,87 feet long. There is no detail on who operated it in 1913/4,but there is a possibility that this is the vessel,it could have been used in inter-island trading,bearing in mind that the French had interests in the Pacific/Polynesia.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• 15 years later...

Sotonmate

I never said thank you for your last reply (15 years ago!!).

I have just found this article on the AS Eugenie which ties up as my great-uncle worked for Burns, Philip & Co Ltd out of Sydney and working around the Soloman Islands. Not exactly a lucky ship.

http://jervisbaymaritimemuseum.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-schooner-eugenie-captain-buried-at.html