Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coxyde Cemetery

Matt Dixon

I was fortunate enough to vist Coxyde cemetery yesterday and had great pleasure in chatting for a good 20 minutes to the CWGC gardener who was working. What a nice man! Very enthusiastic, even after 20 years of working in the cemetery and even offered me a cup of tea! In case he reads this, and sadly I did not get his name, thanks for all your good work, and thanks for making the visit so enjoyable!

I was also very impressed with CWGC staff.

At Lijssenthoek, I mentioned that the mother of Jackie Schwarer had maintained a plot of asters in his memory, for the rest of her life. Stanley White approached me later with pen & paper to record my address. He had obtained Head Office approval to plant Jackie's own asters, and to send the family a photo in the Spring.

How about that?

Pat

What can I say except a huge well done to the unsung hero's of the CWGC.

Was Stanley White the gardener who helped you so generously?

I know the Whites a bit, they are quite an interesting family, three generations - more than 90 years, only interupted by the second world war, when the family was forced back to Britain - of working for the I and later CWGC in Pops. I am not quite sure, but I think they are the only 3-generation CWGC-workers in Belgium.

Quite an achievement, I should say!

G'day Bert.

Of course Stanley would not be the only nice bloke one might expect to meet in Pops. Can only hope that this is the appropriate way of saying thanks.

Pat

post-19-1068376716.jpg