Remembered Today:

Dismounted Pattern Haversasck?

picardowoods

Hi all

I found this and thought I'd seek your views, it has the same basic characteristics of the normal dismounted pattern haversack, except the flap is secured with press studs rather than the usual 1" buckles.

There is no evidence of modification and was obviously made in this fashion. both the haversack and strap are 1916 dated and /I\ marked.

dsc0803mr2.jpg

dsc0802tl1.jpg

Carl

Looks like a satchel for the Large Box Respirator - issued in the summer of 1916 mainly to artillery and the like.

Have a look at this thread for a picture:

Thread on Major Baxter (scroll to the top)

Not sure why your example has only two male studs as opposed to four - manufacturing simplification?

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the link, but I don't think thats it, that LBR haversack looks bigger and different proportions. Resperators aren't my strong point, but doesn't the LBR have a securing strap to go around the waist?

Carl

This is, the mounted pattern haversack that was used in WWI with the World War version of Pattern 1903 cavalry gear. This type replace the pre-Pattern 1908 general service haversack. I have seen a number of these, but this is the first one I've seen with snaps instead of the more usual chapes and Twigg buckles. HG&R (Hepburn. Gale & Ross) were primarily leather makers and produced a lot of Pattern 03 gear. They also were one of the first of the "secondary" companies to start producing Pattern 08 web gear when the war started. I suspect that this is an experimental piece that they tried to sell to the War Office - if so it was poor timing as just the next year (1917) the government dropped the snap closure on the entrenching tool carrier as unreliable and replaced it with a chape and buckle.

Hi John

Thanks for your imput, I'm embarised I called it dismounted - sorry senior moment there - of course its the mounted pattern, I do have a few of the normal type myself, just never seen this style before.

Carl