Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need to understand about rank

annestormont

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I really don't fully understand the rankings in the Army. If my uncle was a WO2 would his service record be under officer ?

Anne

Anne,

No, to the officer records; his authority is sanctioned by Royal Warrant, but he is still not a Commissioned Officer as he has no Commission.

What regiment was he in? As this helps to determine what his appopintment was.

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks for that Tom. I'm just beginning to glean bits of info about this relative who was Albert John Wyatt born 1900 and serving in the Army at 14. His son says he was initially in the City of London Brigade, then the Norfolk regiment. I haven't been able to find his mic - he didn't use Albert, known as Johnny, or John. I'm waiting to receive info from his son which I hope will be useful. Anne

Anne

The usual rank structure in the infantry arm, of which the Norfolks were part, ran from Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, Warrant Officer 2nd Class (WO2) and Warrant Officer 1st Class (WO1). You then entered into the Commissioned officers listings.

There were variations to a WO2's job depending on regimental requirements but usually a WO2 in the infantry would be a Company Sergeant Major (CSM) or Regimental Quartermaster although at times these 'appointments' (they weren't ranks in themselves) may have been held by men of other ranks i.e. Colour Sergeant. It can at times be confusing but certainly by the later stages of the war I believe the above jobs were fairly standardised. I'll now don my trusty flak jacket and tin hat and stand by for a barrage of corrections!

Greg

Thanks Greg for that info - it clarifies things a bit. I am really looking forward to researching this uncle John who lead a colourful life I believe. I am told he served in Egypt, Malaya and Ireland. He was certainly full of wonderful stories and lived to the good age of 96. I wish I could find his medal index card - that would be a start! Anne

Absolutely spot on Greg. The rank of WO2 had numerous connotations in fact far too many to list, appointments could be endless!

Terry W.

Quick question on WO ranks: was it a Royal Warrant or a War Office Warrant?

On such matters does the fate of nations hang.

Edwin

Hi Anne,

There are a few possibles in the MICs under the name John Wyatt who served in the London Regiment. There are none listed that served with the Norfolks also....although there is one who served with the Notts & Derby Regiment.

Given that he was only born in 1914 I would be certain he was not a WO2 during the Great War as he would only have been 18 when the war ended. You will probably find he reached that rank later on...perhaps in WW2. If he served in Malaya I would say this would more than likely have also been WW2....unlikely in WW1.

What you need from his son is regimental numbers and regiments if he has them. If he has medals they should be inscribed on at least some of them.

Rgds

Tim D