Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Uboat books ?

BlackSeptember1918

G'day

I have studied WWII Uboat history quite a lot , and I have always been interested in learning more about the Uboat force and it's activities during the Great War . My problem is that I have never really been able to find a good book , or books on this subject , most I have purchased seem to go into very little depth ( depth...freudian slip perhaps ..heh heh ) . I have seen some listed on the Uboat net , but I was hoping that the Naval experts around here could give me some advise on which books to buy and what they contain .

I appreciate any help and guidance .

Thanks.

Phil.

Mate,

I found the best site for U Boats both WWI and WWII to be the U Boat.Net/

com.

Its done by some bloke in Iceland and full of interesting things on this subject.

He has a book section with all known books on U Boats and if not you can post on the forum to see what the others think is best.

Good luck

S.B

Thanks for that Steve . I will try posting on the Uboat net , it's a good idea mate . Anyone else who might have a book or two in mind ..I'm all ears .

Cheers .

Phil.

Phil

Apart from John Terraine's "Business in Great Waters" & Edwin Gray's, "The Killing Time: The U-Boat War 1914-18", I know of a few in print that might be of interest to you:

"Verschollen" by Dwight R. Messimer is a record of all U-Boats that were lost without trace during the Great War, as such it isn't really a history of the U-Boat arm but the stories themselves serve to tell the tale quite well.

"U-Boat Intelligence: Admiralty Intelligence Division and the Defeat of the U-boats 1914-1918" by Robert M. Grant came out last year. I haven't read it yet, so can't comment on its worth!

"Fips: Legendary U-Boat Commander" by Geoffrey Brooks has now been remaindered and is available from Naval & Military Press.

"Raiders of the Deep" by Lowell Thomas is worth a read and can be picked up cheaply in second hand bookshops or on the 'net (I use bookfinder.com).

"Starvation Blockades: The Naval Blockades of WW1" by Nigel Hawkins covers the British and German efforts to starve each other out. As such, it might not be exactly what you're looking for but worth a look.

Diana Preston's book about the Lusitania, "Wilful Murder" (published as "Lusitania: An Epic Tragedy" in the U.S.) is also worth picking up.

Finally, Barrie Pitt's, "Zeebrugge" has just been reprinted, oh and there's a newish book about the 1918 raids, "The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids" by Deborah Lake.

Hope you find something useful amongst this lot.

Cheers,

Jim

P.S. I've got a book about the "Baralong Incident" somewhere but I can neither find it or remember the title! If I manage to do either, I'll let you know!

Jim

Thankyou very much for that great info mate . That will be a great help , I'll start searching for those books straight away ..many thanks Jim .

Cheers

Phil.

Phil

Some more for you:

"My Mystery Ships" by Rear-Admiral Gordon Campbell VC DSO.

"Sailormen All" by Vice-Admiral Gordon Campbell VC DSO

"Q" Boat Adventures" by Lieut-Commander Harold Auten VC RNR.

"Q-Ships and Their Story" by E. Keble Chatterton.

"Q-Ships" by Carson Ritchie.

""I.D." New Tales of the Submarine War" by David Masters.

Finally, I found my copy of:

"Slaughter at Sea - The Truth Behind a Naval War Crime" by Alan Coles - the story of the Q-Ship Baralong's sinking of the U27 and the subsequent killing of its crew.

Cheers,

Jim

• 3 years later...