The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Lines

Graham Stewart

post-7376-1157281708.jpg post-7376-1157281724.jpg

One for our R.West Kenter's here. Bought today at a carboot fair 50p, on the back "From Herbert(Lines - written in pen)with very best wishes". Photographers mark 'J.Wilkins, 2 Simpson Rd, Bromley'.

What's unusual about it is the shoulder title. Have had it under my x10 stamp guage and it's definately R.W.K., but the metal shoulder title 'R.W.Kent' is halfway up the strap and below that are seperate capital letters 'A' 'C' in metal.

Now I've seen thousands of photo's in my time, but this has me beaten and I've been wondering all morning. What does 'A C' stand for, is it Ammunition Column, Army Cadet, Army Cyclist(although they didn't have a cyclist Bn)??? Had it been 'K C', the I would have said 'Kent County Bn', but it's definately 'A C'.

I've done an MIC search, but can't find a Herbert Lines, R.W.Kent.

Graham.

One for our R.West Kenter's here. Bought today at a carboot fair 50p, on the back "From Herbert(Lines - written in pen)with very best wishes". Photographers mark 'J.Wilkins, 2 Simpson Rd, Bromley'.

What's unusual about it is the shoulder title. Have had it under my x10 stamp guage and it's definately R.W.K., but the metal shoulder title 'R.W.Kent' is halfway up the strap and below that are seperate capital letters 'A' 'C' in metal.

Now I've seen thousands of photo's in my time, but this has me beaten and I've been wondering all morning. What does 'A C' stand for, is it Ammunition Column, Army Cadet, Army Cyclist(although they didn't have a cyclist Bn)??? Had it been 'K C', the I would have said 'Kent County Bn', but it's definately 'A C'.

I've done an MIC search, but can't find a Herbert Lines, R.W.Kent.

Graham.

It's got me stumped too. Just checking Westlake's shoulder title book and there's not sign of it. The West Kent Cyclist Btn wore a three tiered T/KENT/CYCLISTS title and the Cadets wore 1/C/R.W.KENT. Nice find.

Keith