Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord Kitchener at Sedd-el-Bahr

Orion

Comparing the pictures Bill has posted with the description I've given based upon a pre war diagram leads me to suggest that the size of the barracks is overly generous - it is shown as wider than it probably was and also deeper than it probably was - unless the separate stores behind it were rebuilt and incorporated into the barracks immediately before 1914/15. The separate officers barracks block is not shown - I would have guessed that this would have remained a separate entity - though it might have been demolished before the war.

I think this one has a little further to run and would be most nterested to know whether any more archeological information has surfaced from work within the fort or whther any more evidence has surfaced about the "hospital" outside the fort walls.

Martin

There is another thread on the subject at -

I have posted a photo on the above thread -

This photo appeared in the Illustrated War News 29th December 1915. The caption to the photo read as follows-

Lord Kitchener at Sedd-el-Bahr with French Commader-in-Chief.

Left to right Colonel Watson, Kitchener, French Commander-in-Chief, Colonel Sir Henry McMahon behind left Colonel Fitzgerald Kitchener's military secretary.

The photo appears to the be same as on Page 1, Post 1 of the current thread.

Sullivan.

• 2 weeks later...

quote: "It’s exact location was to the right of the main entrance to the castle, against the wall that over looks V Beach as shown on Brian's map (though interestingly,there was another building in the centre of the castle not shown). I confirmed that the building was the right one with Sahin Aldogan, one of Turkey’s leading experts on the campaign and probably the best man regarding terrain. He also informed me that a recent archaeological dig within the grounds of the castle, a part of preliminary work to restore the fortification, has uncovered the foundations of the building in question.

Bill,

The photograph below may already be known to you as it is from the British OH;

it was taken from the air in 1922

SeddElBahrCastle1922.jpg

It is difficult to be certain, but my first impressions upon comparing it with the model are

1] the buildings (top row in model - left row in above) seem to be too close to the wall at their back

2] the second building (lower in model - right of path in above) may be on the wrong axis in the model

as the photograph shows the roof ridge parallel to the path through the fort

and not at right angles to it

I suppose it really depends what date they hope to represent by this model

but what do you think?

Regards

Michael

I think the building in the centre of the "courtyard" must be later than 1915 - the "barracks" we have long discussed seem to have been demolished as do the officers quarters which were against the far wall in the picture - probably where the little hut is.