Remembered Today:

IWM and N&M maps on CD

Kathie

I have already enthused elsewhere on my latest purchase of three CDs with maps and trench maps. It really is fasinating.

I am still learing how to get the most out of them.

What I cant yet do is zoom in on the portion I want and then print out only that sectiion. I do want to be able to sit at desk with my notes and etc and then just look at the hard copy of the one portion of a whole big map.

How is it done Please???

I wish there were more maps because I am not really intersted in many of the ones on the CD. Suppose I will have to wait fro the new (and probably very expensive) Smithmaps GPS 3D project to be fiinalised.

Kathie

On my version there is a printer icon that you hit to print the screen. I zoom the map to fill the screen I want printed and then ensure I am printing landscape and hit print. Couldnt be easier ... which makes me wonder why your having problems and I dont. The maps do cover the vast majority of the British sectors on the WF, although sometimes you have to search around for the sector you want. Chasseud's RATS ALLEY has been useful to tie back map regional-names to specific areas by seaching his register against the map title-reference number.

For me (using XP) clicking on the print button, 4th one in from the left in the ER Viewer window brings up a print window which will then print out whats on screen but I then have to click on the properties button in that window and page setup in the next to change the page format to landscape to get the map to fill the page. Zooming in can either be done by holding CTRL ( the on-screen hand changes into a box) and pressing the left hand button then you can drag the mouse to define a box (letting go of the mouse before CTRL) or pressing SHIFT (the hand turns into a magnifying glass) and the left hand button of the mouse to zoom in or out. These operation's can also be done via the 8 and 9th buttons in (to the right of the hand) at the top of the window. The next button along, the ruler, is also handy as if you click on that and move the mouse you get a distance readout in the bottom right hand corner and the next button, the question mark opens a window which explains these things much better than I've done.

Ken

I wish there were more maps because I am not really intersted in many of the ones on the CD. Suppose I will have to wait fro the new (and probably very expensive) Smithmaps GPS 3D project to be fiinalised.

Kathie

Alternatively, for 650 maps that have taken 4 years to assemble it could be an absolute bargain! :P

Suppose I will have to wait fro the new (and probably very expensive) Smithmaps GPS 3D project to be fiinalised.

I'm sure that, with all of the advance publicity Smithmaps gets here, they will be offering a discount to forum members.

marc

I'm sure that, with all of the advance publicity Smithmaps gets here, they will be offering a discount to forum members.

marc

You won't want a GPS system marc, not in Ohio, it would be as useful as T_ts on a Fish! :D:P

Thank you. I will try and report if difficulties.

I didnt know about Chasseuds Rats Alley.

Mainly, its that the South aFricans werent there in 1914 ad 1915 so those are wasted years for me. Then for the Somme the CD is all about the 1st Jly and the SAI only got going 14th July, similarly the SAI are the wrong dates at Warlencourt for teh CD. etc. Just colonial whining by me.

Kathie

• 4 weeks later...

If you can't get the built-in printer icon to work, then just click the 'print screen' icon on your keyboard, then open up your imageing/graphics programme (default is 'Paint') and then click Control 'V' - that will paste the screenshot into the progamme. You can then edit it how you want.