Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHO CARES?

dhubthaigh

I have been researching the number and locations of various Memorials in Northeast Perthshire.

It had always bothered me that there was no mention of a monument to the men of Kirkmichael who laid down their lives in the great war. However, after a conversation with an elderly villager recently I was able to locate it. The memorial takes the form of a cairn situated on a prominent rocky outcrop just outside the village. It cannot be seen now as the trees surrounding it have allowed to grow unchecked. Ascending the steep steps I was quite shocked by the state of the memorial and its surround.

To the Glory of God - Men of Strathardle who fell in the War 1914-1919 - This is to their memory. (well it should be)

It is always sad to see memorials, vandalised, decayed, neglected. I'm sure someone in the village should have seen to it that the memorial was looked after. But who now?, I feel that something should be done to have the cairn and area cleaned up. Does anyone have experience of this or who may provide some appropriate help/assistance. Or indeed how to go about it?

post-12504-1157215375.jpg

First step is to write to the local council, this is what i have done with a local memorial, it will be restored before Remembrance Sunday.

Under Scots law, if the memorial is sited on private land it belongs to the owner of that land. This assumes that no other party has title to it or legal interest in it. This can be difficult to ascertain with the passage of time.

It may have been " vested " in the local authority in which case Perthshire County Council and their succesors will have responsibility for it's upkeep. Often they were taken over ( 1920's - 1930's) when the War Memorial Commitee was disbanded, their task in raising the memorial having been completed

Anthony is right, first step is to find out the Council's position. There is a means to discover the owner which could be used as a last resort if they deny responsibility.

Where is the memorial for the WW2 men of Kirkmichael? Some of their relative must still be alive, surely.

Keep us posted.

There is a small brass plaque on the cairn bearing 4 names of those who were killed in WW2.

There may be relatives around but it could be difficult to know where they are now. I think that was a problem in the Glens - a lot of people moved in and out for work etc. However it is worth bearing in mind.

The momorial is not listed on the UKNIWM and certainly one I have not seen in the local papers of the time for dedication etc. It may well lie on private ground.

I will dig about and let you know what is happening.

thanks,

Mark

Update

Mark

This memorial is a Listed Building. It was Listed category C(S) on 5th March 2001. The description reads:

HISTORIC SCOTLAND

PERTH AND KINROSS COUNCIL

Description:

Circa 1920. Celtic Cross war memorial. Granite. Battered base with names of fallen preceding wording:

FROM THIS DISTRICT, WHO GAVE THEIR

LIVES FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY

IN THE GREAT WAR.

´4 - ´8

"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE."

"CHA TILL IAD TUILLEADH."

Battered shaft giving way to Celtic cross with centre boss.

------------------------------

Since it was only Listed 5 years ago the Council will know the owner then. They have a statuatory duty to make all possible ( even very costly) efforts to discover the identity of the legal owner and serve them notice of the Listing. They will have these details on file. They are also required to keep a comprehensive record of all the Lited properties in their area and allow the public access to inspect it.

The owner of a Listed property has statuatory obligations which they must adhere to regarding upkeep of a Listed property, the Council to enforce same.

Given that it is only C Listed, this leaves planning powers, etc over it with the Council alone. If it were B or A Listed, Historic Scotland would have to be involved and not the Council alone.

A telecall to the Council on Monday, I suspect will set the ball in motion.

Update

This memorial is a Listed Building. It was Listed category C(S) on 5th March 2001. The description reads:

James

Can I ask where you got this information, is it readily available?

Regards

Adam

Much thanks for the information and good thoughts of assistance.

However the last post referring to the Celtic Cross is the one at Straloch a few short miles up the road. Pic attached

post-12504-1157225892.jpg

Hi Mark

Sorry about that, it is the wrong one. The rest of the advice regarding the Council still applies. Check to see what they know about it.

The details of all Listed buildings can be found from the Historic Scotland site at

Listed Buildings

Full details are found at PASTMAP

Registration to RCAHMS site is free.

No it hasn't been reported but I've printed the form off from their site and will do so.

Thanks for input Ian.

regards,

Mark

I think we all care deeply and also have seen the results of neglect / vandalisam, whatever. Not only only in the UK either.

I Quote:

"They whom this memorial commemorates, at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them to endure hardships and face dangers, and then passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self sacrifice giving up their lives that others might live in freedom.

Let those who come after see to it that their names are not forgotten".

Sentiments that I think that all those of us that do care, share. We will never Forget their sacrifice for us, or allow future generations to forget either.

Well done, keep fighting, perhaps some one will understand and support restoration, whatever.

Regards.

Terry W.

Terry

Guest KevinEndon

Why dont you see what the local community think about this disgrace. If allowed why dont you try to get a party together with saws, shears,shovel and spade and have a community project to right the memorial. A good session of fun and drinks after and you will have what most long for A COMMUNITY SPIRIT.

Why dont you see what the local community think about this disgrace. If allowed why dont you try to get a party together with saws, shears,shovel and spade and have a community project to right the memorial. A good session of fun and drinks after and you will have what most long for A COMMUNITY SPIRIT.

Just a note of warning - enthusiatic but uninformed cleaning attempts could seriously damage the memorial

and efface inscriptions, etc. Best to have someone in charge who has knowledge of stonecleaning. Also to record any inscriptions before any serious cleaning starts, just in case of unintentional damage.

Ian

I have been researching the number and locations of various Memorials in Northeast Perthshire.

Once again I would be more than happy to add this memorial to the www.roll-of-honour.com web site. If you let me have the relevant details and permisison to use the photograph then I will happily put it on-line.

• 12 years later...

I just put some July 2015 images Straloch on the WMR, they show it rather weathered.  There was on image there that had been uploaded in October 2015 which showed in pristine condition but don't know if it was an old one or whether it had been cleaned since I was there.  I think I posted them here earlier.

This is Strathardle (full set on FLICKR) - I wondered if the pillar is an old standing stone that has been re-used?

Strathardle War Memorial
-
On hill above the A924.  Steep footpath up to memorial but no parking at roadside and starts on a busy narrow road.
----
To the Glory of God
--
James Blair Black mill
David Donaldson Merklands Lodge
David Gordon Milton of Dounie
Alec McDonald Askintully
Peter Mitchell Bannerfield Cottage
Harry Morrison U. F. Manse
--
James Robertson Merklands
David Robertson Wester Tulloch Curran
Edward Robertson Dalnabreck
Alan Sloan Kirkmichael
Alex Straiton Dalnagairn
George Clark Balnabroich
--
Men of Strathardle who fell in the War
1914 - 1919
This to their memory
and
in honour of all who Served
----
Likewise Fell
Walter Burnett Ashintully
1914 - 1919
----
1939 - 1945
P. G. Atkinson-Clark  
G. Muckart
R. T. Mitchell
J. S. Mitchell
----
War Memorial (20th Century)
Site Name Kirkmichael, War Memorial
Classification War Memorial (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Kirkmichael War Memorial
Canmore ID 338786
Site Number NO06SE 147
NGR NO 08197 60008
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

01-JMB_06_07_2015_12_41_13_000323903.JPG.8b707350e8df744e2364de2883c805a0.JPG04-JMB_06_07_2015_12_41_54_000324103.JPG.e67a36bdc7725e19f445f6d8cabb4a35.JPG05-JMB_06_07_2015_12_41_57_000324203.JPG.5b22c2a345aa21bdceba4702b1fc0f9f.JPG09-JMB_06_07_2015_12_42_09_000324603.JPG.c9c05660f841cb0495b88f930dcbe81f.JPG10-JMB_06_07_2015_12_44_37_000324703.JPG.3796fca1da2ffcf485220862fcc6f433.JPG

Edited by mbriscoe

Looking good now. Thanks for the welcome update.

Good to see, and congratulations to whoever eventually restored the memorial.  Hopefully there are now arrangements in place to ensure that it will not fall into such disrepair again.  One wee quibble ... am I alone in thinking that it's a shame the plaques have been secured with cross-headed screws?  

37 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

Good to see, and congratulations to whoever eventually restored the memorial.  Hopefully there are now arrangements in place to ensure that it will not fall into such disrepair again.  One wee quibble ... am I alone in thinking that it's a shame the plaques have been secured with cross-headed screws?  

And normal steel screws, not stainless steel, so they are going to rust away.  Looks a locally made memorial and not one made by an outside company. 

Doesn't matter how, the important thing is that it has been restored!!

Well done, and thanks for the update. It looked terrible ten years ago..

M.

I agree, of course, but it still seems a pity that the opportunity wasn't taken to use (perhaps boss- or dome-headed) fasteners of similar functional and aesthetic quality to the plaques themselves.