Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just returned from Northern France and Belgium

BattlefieldPhotographer

Good Morning All,

I recently returned from Northern France and the Ypres Salient and have photos of the following cemeteries and memorials. I continue to arrange photos in folders so it may be a few days before I can reply with an image.

Cheers

Adelaide Cemetery

Arras Memorial

Viller-Brettoneux Memorial

Bavelincourt Communal Cemetery

Bazentin Le Petit Communal Cemetery

Bazentin Le Petit Military Cemetery

Contay British Cemetery

Crucifix Cemetery

Demuin British Cemetery

Dunkirk Memorial

Feuchy Chapel Cemetery

Forceville Cemetery

Gourock Trench Cemetery

Guard Cemetery, Combles

Harponville Cemetery

Hibers Trench Cemetery

Loos Memorial

Marfaux Memorial

Pozieres Memorial

Rancourt Military Cemetery

Thiepval Memorial

Tigris Cemetery

Toronto Cemetery

Varennes Cemetery

Warloy-Baillon Cemetery

Windmill Cemetery

Langemarck German Military Cemetery

Marcelcave French Military Cemetery

Can I suggest that you arrange to let the British War Memorial Project , www.wargraves.org.uk, have some of the images you have taken, i.e those of British fallen.

Some of the places you have mentioned have already been done, eg the ones on the Somme, but any others would be welcomed with open arms I am sure.

In fact you could join as a volunteer, if indeed you are not one already.

Regards

Martin

Hello Martin,

Fact is I was the American Rep for the BWMP for a while, and was removed from the project when I sent 44,000 images to Maidenhead for their archives. The BWMP is a fine project and has all the right intentions, with the exception they sold photos and declined to send images via email for a period of time (that topic was discussed on this site).

But all that matters not. Water under the bridge.

I went, I photographed, my images are available to anyone who asks.

Hello Martin,

Fact is I was the American Rep for the BWMP for a while, and was removed from the project when I sent 44,000 images to Maidenhead for their archives. The BWMP is a fine project and has all the right intentions, with the exception they sold photos and declined to send images via email for a period of time (that topic was discussed on this site).

Do you know I guessed something like that but did not, and still dont, know your name!

The issue about charging for pics has now been dealt with, and so far as I know to the satisfaction of the volunteers i.e ask for a contribution to cover costs but that is all.

Martin

Gary E Nelson, Founder, International Wargraves Photography Project

www.findagrave.com/iwpp

email: jeep113@verizon.net

Hi GAry this is a great idea, will yoube placing the photos on the net? I can imagine otherwise there will be lots of requests ive lots. There is a lovely lady in Sweden thta sent me a load of photos from Kviberg. If your interested I will try to contact her and see if shes willing for you to have them for your archive. gareth

Hi Gareth,

I appreciate your kind offer. By all means. If she has the time she can uploaded them to the web using the below listed web site or I would be happy to do so when I get through what I have now. Many thanks to you.

Cheers

Gary E Nelson, Founder, International Wargraves Photography Project

www.findagrave.com/iwpp

email: jeep113@verizon.net

Hi Gareth,

I was going too fast for my own good on my last reply. Yes, my photos are all on the web, see www.findagrave.com to view them. All photos uploaded are immediately viewable as well as any additional details. The IWPP is directly supported by FindAGrave.com regarding web space and there appears to be no end to the space available. Searches of cemeteries and burials can be made from the site, and if anyone has photos they wish to add to the site, they may do so readily.

That was the basis for the form of my previous reply. If your friend in Sweden wishes she may upload them herself or I can assist as time allows.

Cheers

Hi Gary

Be keen on one of Dunkirk memorial as have a guy on our local memorial who is commemorated there. Would it be OK to publish it in my forthcoming roll of honour book see the site wickford war memorial

Many thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

Absolutely!! Thanks for asking and making the Project a part of yours. When the photo is published please credit it as follows: IWPP (www.FindAGrave.com/IWPP)

Please let me know here or by email the name of the Fallen. I will have images of the overall panel, overall Memorial images, and close ups of the names of the Fallen. I also have images of the Chapel located at the rear of the Memorial. It has a beautiful stained glass scene of the Evacuation. Let me know what interests you and they will be sent forthwith.

Cheers

Hi Gary, i found several of "my men" on the war graves website so have left a flower, nice idea. I have e mailed Jo to see if she can help or will let me give you her photos .

Do you have John (robert Brunsden ) Page 14 th glos on your archive> hes on Panel 40 or 41

and on Ploegseert John thomas 16806 Welsh Rgt

cheers Gareth

Hi Gary

Are you saying that you have photos of all the names on the Arras Memorial.

If so I would appreciate these two.

Name: MUMFORD, FREDERICK ALFRED

Initials: F A

Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 08/05/1917

Service No: 19224

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 6.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

and

Name: HICKLING, GEORGE HERBERT

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "B" Bty. 235th Bde.

Date of Death: 27/03/1918

Service No: 14781

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Let me know Gary and I will PM you my e-mail

Many Thanks

Glyn

Hi Gareth,

I have them both. 1.20 megs each so I will be sending them over several emails to ensure receipt.

Gary

Hi Gary, i found several of "my men" on the war graves website so have left a flower, nice idea. I have e mailed Jo to see if she can help or will let me give you her photos .

Do you have John (robert Brunsden ) Page 14 th glos on your archive> hes on Panel 40 or 41

and on Ploegseert John thomas 16806 Welsh Rgt

cheers Gareth

Gareth,

I have John Thomas at Ploegsteert. Can you clarify your request for John Robert Brunsden?

Gary

Gary

I have seizable selection of war grave photos - mainly CWGC that I can send to you - just tell me what to do

Chris

Hello BattlefieldPhotographer

Here is an editted list of some Great War websites which you might wish to contact regarding the provision of grave photographs.

Regards

Borden Battery

=============================

*In MEMORy by Pierre Vandervelden

This well-designed website of Commonwealth War Cemeteries, Communal Cemeteries & Churchyards in Belgium & France enables one to inspect these cemeteries and to access basic information regarding a large number of soldiers from the Commonwealth. The main feature is a clever spreadsheet of each cemetery, a summary of nationalities, a photograph of the cemetery and an alphabetical listing of soldiers. The site also contains some beautiful photographs of a selection of regimental headstones. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2005 - Updated]

http://www.inmemories.com/cemypr.htm

*The Maple Leaf Legacy Project

A Project in Remembrance of Canada's War Dead. The aim of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project is to photograph or obtain a photograph of every Canadian War Grave of the 20th Century. These photos will be made freely available on the project's web site. The project relies solely on the kind assistance of the hundreds of volunteers and sponsors around the world to get the photographs or to donate funds to help pay for the good work of the project. The Maple Leaf Legacy Project is a registered charity and can issue charitable tax receipts. [CEF Study Group]

http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca/

WW1Cemeteries.com

This website site currently contains over 1250 different images of the First World War Cemeteries of France and Belgium, as well as numerous other images of Military cemeteries and memorials from around the world. All of these cemeteries have been personally visited and photographed by the authors over the last six years. The site also contains many other Military cemeteries and memorials from all around the world and features regimental headstone badges, a cemetery index for Victoria Cross recipients, links to other Great War websites, and an index of "Shot at Dawn" soldiers. Again, another well designed and presented website. [CEF Study Group - June 2006]

http://ww1cemeteries.com/

Silent Cites - Cemeteries and Memorials in France and Belgium

Silent Cites - A Guide to the Cemeteries and Memorials of the First World War in France and Belgium is an indexed cemetery website and includes a discussion forum [approx 135 members / 1350 postings]. [CEF Study Group - Feb 2006]

http://www.silentcities.co.uk/index.htm

Hi Battlefieldphotographer.

I would be grateful for:

Harold Bernard Dowdell - Thiepval Memorial

Oliver John Wade - Arras Flying Services Memorial

Ernest George Dowdell - Arras Memorial

If possible

Best wishes

John

Hi Battlefieldphotographer.

I would be grateful for:

Harold Bernard Dowdell - Thiepval Memorial

Oliver John Wade - Arras Flying Services Memorial

Ernest George Dowdell - Arras Memorial

If possible

Best wishes

John

No problem John. Send me an email to jeep113@verizon.net and I will send the images via reply.

Hello Gary.

Thankyou for your kind offer, very welcome indeed. I would appreciate any images of Thiepval. Though I have been there many times you may have taken a shot I did not! If they are available, please PM me.

Regards.

Terry W.

Many thanks for the offer Gary. I will email you the 2 names that I would like.

Thanks again

Lynn

Hi,

I am researching the men from the Great War listed on the War Memorial in my village in Staffordshire, England. I wonder if you can help with any of the following:

ARRAS MEMORIAL

L/Sjt 22977 George Whitefield BOWEN - 13th Toyal Scots, Lothian Regt

Pte 17100 Thomas RUSSELL - 2nd Bttn South Staffordshire Regt

Gnr 631996 Jack SHORTER - B Bty 255th Bde, Royal Garrison Artillery

LOOS MEMORIAL

Sapper 1439 Walter BICKLEY - 1/2nd North Midland Field Coy, Royal Engineers

Pte 10781 Albert DAWKINS - 1st Bttn South Staffoprdshire Regt

Captain Clarence HAWKINS - 5th Bttn South Staffordshire Regt

Sapper 1467 JOhn LOCKETT - 1/2nd North Midland Field Coy, Royal Engineers

Spr 1038 William Henry GRETTON - 2nd North Midland Field Coy, Royal Engineers

POZIERES MEMORIAL

G/14948 Edward MORRIS - 7th Battalion Buffs (East Kent Regt)

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

L/Cpl 17102 Fred Boucher - 9th Service Battalion (Pioneer) South Staffordshire Regt

Gdsmn 18665 John BROWN - 1st Bttn, Grenadier Guards

Pte 1204 Ernest ROBINSON - 1st Bttn South Staffordshire Regt

L/Cpl G/4542 Charles H WHITEHOUSE - 6th Battalion, Queens (Royal West Surrey Regt)

Any help will be gratefully received.

Hello Jon,

I have those memorials photographed. Please send an email to jeep113@verizon.net and I will send the images via replies.

Gary