Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Button-what Regiment?

spingo

I have been trying to find the regiment James Burrows enlisted into in 1916 without success.

It was family knowledge that he enlisted in 1914 at the age of 16, his father, subseqently was able to convince the authorities that he was under age and he was released from service. He re-enlisted on his 18th birthday in 1916.

Like many people researching family history, no verbal questioning of his WWI service was undertaken when he was alive, post-1314-1157194943.jpg other than what he himself volunteered, he was in a cavalry regiment and being a dispatch driver. The only identifiable item is his buttons on his uniform.

Can any forum member identify them?

Spingo

Sorry to have to add that they're not of a regimental pattern, but are normal General Service pattern uniform buttons.

Graham.

Being a despatch rider would suggest Royal Engineers...

Steve.

Graham I agree they look like GS buttons, but with the mention of cavalry look again could they not be Scots Greys with the Eagle button and the lanyard-just an idea, I have doubts but would be good to dismiss this idea.

Rob

White lanyards mean just about nothing really, as mentioned by Joe Sweeney in a recent post. At the end of it was usually a jack-knife. Cavalry buttons are very distinctive and like collar badges are more often seen post-war.

Graham.

Many thanks for your replies. Unfortunately 112 James Burrows are listed in the MIC's so no easy fix to finding out his regiment. Just one thought though, I know my man came from, and was living in Stockport when he enlisted, is there any archive I can use to find him with this information?

Spingo