Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A suggestion for the "Unit databases"

DMcNay

Dont Despair General Wauchope!

I think I read on the 'Victims of our own success' thread that there is a possibility Chris will be able to host smaller, Great War related websites when he finds a suitable home for the Great War Forum - could be just what we're looking for with regards to the unit databases :)

I can understand that Chris is a busy chap, but no acknowledgement whatsoever makes me a little disheartened.

You're dead right. Please accept my apologies for a slow response BUT don't forget - I have a day job, a family, a part time military research business to run, a website crisis, and 600 new posts and approximately 200 emails a day to read. Have a heart!

it might be useful to make a page listing the regiments and areas people are researching

Good idea - but difficult to maintain without a good deal of effort. There are already several unstructured ways that this information can be presented and discovered (in posts, signatures, members profile, etc). I have no objection at all, and would encourage, some way of collecting this information but it would at present need to be in a standard discussion thread. It could be placed in the "National/International Projects" area.

What's the best way of implementing that?

Having it as a thread leaves it open to the problem of workign your way through several pages of posts. Is it possible for someone to perhaps list in one post all the areas of research, with a link to the relevant persons profile? That seems to me to be the most convenient, accessible method at the moment.

I'm happy to try and work that out. Is it something an ordinary member of the forum can do? Or does it need Mod access?

To open a thread in that area needs me to do it, but you can open one anywhere you like and I'll shift it in there. I can also "pin" the topic so it appears at the top.

Crisis? What crisis? Plain sailing here...

Bernard

Okay, I'll start a new thread in here later today that can be moved and pinned.

Is it possible for me to edit a topic if it's moved to "projects"?

Guest oldbilluk

Bump

19th Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery is my present area. Would love to have some way of easily finding out which other units were in the same HAGs at the same time as often a War Diary for those, or the HAG/Brigade mentions the 19th for which no specific War Diaries seem to exist. Also my experience so far has been that someone out there knows a whole lot more than me but I don't want to keep pestering the same people for the next bit of information in my quest.

If it's just another topic it isn't likely to be very useful.

The search facility doesn't work well on the forum so there is a good chance that anyone looking on the thread won't find the information.

I appreciate that it won't be as easy to create a list in another format, particularly at this busy time for Chris, but there must be a better way.

The plan is that it will be pinned in the "projects" section.

The thread will have a post for each "section". One for Regiments, one for locations, etc.

Forum members can email me with their area of research. They will of course be happy to be listed, as this means people making contact with them either with information to assist them or requests from other FOR information.

This will be a thread for information only. There should be no other posts apart from the ones with the listings.

As I get more information on research being carried out I will amend the posts to include the new information.

It's not ideal, but it's a start. And I'd rather see it done this way than have nothing at all done.

I'm with you on the fact that the thread format is better than doing nothing and I'm sure we can make changes in the light of future developments of the Forum generally.

How do you want the information? Perhaps you could give an example.

Do you want the information by e-mail, PM, or on this thread?

How will you manage e-mail addresses? I can forsee that some people won't mind receiving an e-mail from an anonymous looking link but will be less happy with their e-mail address being posted publicly.

Just my random thoughts. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

I'm with you on the fact that the thread format is better than doing nothing and I'm sure we can make changes in the light of future developments of the Forum generally.

How do you want the information? Perhaps you could give an example.

Do you want the information by e-mail, PM, or on this thread?

How will you manage e-mail addresses? I can forsee that some people won't mind receiving an e-mail from an anonymous looking link but will be less happy with their e-mail address being posted publicly.

Just my random thoughts. Let me know if I can assist in any way.

sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I got caught in the "flood control" problem which meant I was unable to post last night.

Managing email addresses is not a factor. I'll explain how.

Say for example the first post on the topic is the list of regiments. So people contact me with the details of what they're researching. I post the name of the regiment and a link to that persons profile. No email addresses will be given out as the only way to contact someone is via their profile, where they can be emailed or sent a PM.

Here's an example, using my project. This would appear in a "miscellaneous" section:

Staff from the Bank of Scotland who fell: contact DMcNay

How does that sound to everyone?

I'll post up the intial topic later today which Chris wil then move to "Projects".

David

Sounds good to me! When should we start bombarding you with emails with what we're researching? :)

Email me right now, if you like. I've already had one PM from someone.

I would have started the new post last night but I got home at eight o'clock and immediately fell asleep.

Email me rather than PM as my inbox is getting a little full.

Cheers,

David

Crisis? What crisis? Plain sailing here...

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I have just picked up on the website crisis myself. See Chris Baker's last post of 12 Oct on the "Victims of our own success thread". Transferring to a new server and the cash flow to fund it in order to maintain the Forum. A number of us have made donations to Chris. Very easy to do using the link at the bottom of Chris's signatures.

Regards

Crunchy