Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A suggestion for the "Unit databases"

DMcNay

Just a thought which I wanted to share with you to see if it's feasible.

I'm researching the men from the HBOS Roll of Honour. This comprises several Banks and Building Societies, and the regiments them men served in are fairly varied. I've had a lot of help from various members who are researching their local area or a particular regiment.

I thought it might be useful to try and find out who else is researching areas or regiments, and I had a look at the "unit databases" thread. However, there are a number of pages and it's not too easy to read.

Does anyone else think it might be useful to make a page listing the regiments and areas people are researching? This would list the regiments and next to them the name of the forum member working on them. Clicking on their name could take you to their profile and form there you would be able to contact them.

So what's the general feeling on this? Am I just being lazy? Or would it be a useful tool to be able to find out at a glance who shares an interest?

David

seems like a good idea - thats the trouble with a popuar thread, it gets too long and unmanagable

This would, in my opinion, work best in its own forum within the GWF, so it would require a little (?) bit of work from Chris. It would undoubtedly be a useful research tool.

Roxy

My thoughts were perhaps a locked topic with links next to each regiment/unit/town/village of the particular persons profile.

If you wanted to add your interest to the locked topic, you would PM a moderator who would add it for you.

The benefit of it being locked is it wouldn't spiral out of control into a huge long topic.

Essential to keep it manageable. A locked system would be best. Forum members could simply state the have a special interest in the unit concerned . Personal contact could then be made by people of a like mind.

I surgested having a list serval years ago but nothing came of it. I think the list would work best on The Long, Long Trail or as surgested a locked area on the main page of the forum.

Annette

It should also only be limited to people who would be willing to be contacted either with information or from people with requests. No point in adding your research to the list if you don't want pestered with folk!

I'm interested.

Bernard

.... and specific ships, air squadrons etc.

Absolutely!

I mean, the subject I'm researching doesn't lend itself well to this, but I have men from the Navy, Air Force and Army. They're spread out mostly around Scotland but some in England. It would be ideal to know if there was someone in Yorkshire researching men from the Halifax area...

Sorry for the late arrival on this one but count me in :) I've already had lots of help from forum members who have been researching people on local memorials etc, having all this info stored where it easily accessible is a great idea.

I'll add my support. The scheme has been suggested a few times over the years but I think the community is big enough now to benefit from such a resource.

Mick

Sounds like this might be a goer then. I think I'll send Chris a PM in case he's not aware of this, and see f we can thrash out some details of how to go about it if he's willing.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: there is nothing to update you on. I sent Chris a PM but I've had no reply. It may be his inbox is full or possibly he's not read it yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm a little disappointed that I've had no response on this. I can understand that Chris is a busy chap, but no acknowledgement whatsoever makes me a little disheartened.

I would have thought that this would have been a simple thing to implement, but it seems like we'll all have to continue trawlign through thread after thread to find someone wih a common interest.

If anyone wants to pick up the baton on this then feel free. Seeing as the suggestion doesn't seem to have been noticed by the powers that be then I'm not going to waste any more of my time on it.

Nice to see this gets no response but everyone can muck about with caption contests.

Good to see where the priorities lie.