Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Division Bellacourt 1918

SFayers

Hi folks,

Hopefully one of the RND experts can help me here. I have a piece of trench art which is essentially a matchbox holder fashioned out of a shell case.

On one side is inscribed 'Lt. H. Barton 63rd RND' and on the other 'Bellacourt 1918'. Could anyone tell me where in France Bellacourt is, and when and what the RND were doing there in 1918?

I'm still trying to find out who this man was - whether he was army or RN personnel.

Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Steve

There is a CWGC Cemetery at Bellacourt-Riviere SW of Arras but it contains no RND. The RND was operating about 12 miles SE of Bellacourt during the Advance to Victory in late August 1918 but I know of no connection with Bellacourt. Nor do I know of Lt H Barton, who could have been RNVR or RMLI. He was not an RND casualty. I cannot find any mention of him in any of my RND references. The RND was at Beaucourt in late 1916/early 1917, not 1918.

Definitely says Bellacourt 1918. I did wonder if this chap may have been 'army' personnel as I've not managed to track him down within the RNVR or RMLI as yet (e.g. perhaps of the 190th Brigade, the divisional troops, engineers, etc.)

cheers

Steve