Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bethnal Green East London

Guest ellenkinghorn

Guest ellenkinghorn

can someone please tell me what regiment people would have been put into if they enlisted in Bethnal Green East London i am particularly looking for Joseph Collier who survived the war

Could have been anything,the Local London Regiments would have been the 10th London{Paddington;later Hackney Rifles} & 17th London{Stepney},20th {Blackheath & Woolich}but they could have joined any Regiment really,ASC Royal Artillery,Engineers,Royal Navy;etc;

have you checked the Medal Roll Index Cards @ the NA{online} that will list all the "Joseph Collier" who served in the Army & received War Medals.

As you can see from my signature my Familys "Boys" all lived in Homerton & Hackney & served in everything from the KOYLI through Staffordshire Regt,KRRC,AOC,to RNAS,only two served in Local TF London Battalions,10th & 17th.

Hello ske

There at least 50 Joseph Colliers in the MICs and possibly more simply listed under J:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Your best bet is to find the census details and birth certificate of your Joseph and start the process of elimination from there unless you have a photo in uniform or some other lead.

Remember that once conscription was introduced in 1916, the choice of unit was not available.

The Kitchener volunteers were different - one of my grandfathers enlisted in the Royal Berks from Bethnal Green.

regards

Mel

Henry Dearing (See below) was from Bethnal green he enlisted into the Middlesex Regt.

The Royal Fusiliers recruited heavily from E London.

Brian

Thats, a coincidence as I have a great uncle from that area who enlisted as Pte into 20th Middx and was transferred to 11th Royal Scots, then on to 1st Camerons, survived and went on to serve in 1st Camerons until 1947 when he retired as Major (QM).

Alan

• 4 years later...

can someone please tell me what regiment people would have been put into if they enlisted in Bethnal Green East London i am particularly looking for Joseph Collier who survived the war

hi

you might be interested to look at bethnalgreenwarmemorials which shows the very wide range of regiments ..there are also 3 entries for collier ...maybe brothers or cousins etc of your joseph.