Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

towisuk

Centurion,

I didn't know about a metal pylon. I always heard / thought it was the electricity post being hit by lightning that triggered the thing..

Aurel

Centurion,

I didn't know about a metal pylon. I always heard / thought it was the electricity post being hit by lightning that triggered the thing..

Aurel

Yes I read that too but that it was a metal electricity pylon, which of course was destroyed along with a cow (was it perhaps a Friesian?)

On 18/09/2014 at 03:45, Aurel Sercu said:

Photo taken 10 years ago, standing on the unexploded mine looking south towards the road.

Where one of the electricity posts is a little taller, is where in 1955 a mine exploded, struck by lightning.

When filling the crater they thought : let's put back the post a little higher, for it will sink a little. But it did not.

Whether the crater (of the in 1955 exploded mine) was north or south of the road, I would say : just south. But I can be wrong. Anyway : very near to the road.

Aurel

Hi Aurel, according to Daniel who lives in the house at the Junction of Le Pelerin, the crater was just north of the road. he has the original photo's of the locals standing in and around the crater..

post-5284-0-37385200-1410980130_thumb.jp

regards

Tom

Tom,

Yes, I have these (and other) pics too. Not easy to say whether the exploded mine was just south or just north of the road.

The reason I think it may be south is a photo in : T. Spagnoly & T. Smith, A Walk Round Plugstreet, p. 31. The caption : The water filled depression in the field identifies the site of the sister to the mine that exploded in 1955. Ploegstreet Wood is in the background with the road from Warneton on the right.

The waterfilled depression is approx. 10 meters south of the road.

Aurel

Added 1 minute later : "the sister to the mine" ! Now I realize I made an error. The water-filled depression shows where there still isan unexploded mine ! Correct ?

I'll see if I can post a photo.

Hi Aurel...I remember we had a superb discussion some time ago on this very topic on Paul Reeds site.....

When I came across the photograph of this sign on the Australian War memorial site, and it was just noted as being taken on Messines Ridge, it got me to wondering if could be one of the "lost" mines or the "forgotten ones" at the Birdcage.

Heres the link for those who haven't been to Paul's site.....

http://ypres1917.fr.yuku.com/topic/286/The-Birdcage?page=1#.VBqnqPldUZw

So anyway... I posted it hoping for some interest with forum members ideas on which one (if any of the mines ) that it might be...

best regards Aurel

Tom

• 2 months later...

And just to re-visit the question "which mine ?", I've been perusing my maps again, and both Peckham and Petit Douve farm have railways running next to them.

Also the fact it says "Mine" instead of "Mines" would indicate a single mine and not the four at the Birdcage as I first thought.....

post-5284-0-48023700-1416936399_thumb.jp

post-5284-0-56287000-1416936434_thumb.jp

So take your pick...

regards

Tom