Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The List

greatspywar

Jan, You may find more about the New Zealanders on this database- Cenotaph, which is aiming to be a complete database of all the NZers and others who have fought for NZ and are now dead.

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/?t=850

eg Geoffrey CRAWCOUR Wilson

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/ge...riginalID=13536

Frederick Ernest Webster

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/ge...riginalID=16585

If you contact the Museum authorities, and explain what you are doing, they might send you better copies of the photos.

Hi,

I have already discovered that site. It is a really good site.

Thanks,

Jan

Hi Jan

I have tried to e-mail you regarding any info on James McLean 12043 1st Bat Scots Guards KIA 1917

my e-mail was returned for some reason.

James name was not on your list and I wonder why and if you have anything on him.

thank you

June McLean

Hello June,

Please email me. I haven't got a photo of him so far, but we might find some more info on him.

archives@passchendaele.be

regards,

Jan

post-3185-1157395730.jpgI do have a little on 282791 Pte. John F. Fielding 85th Battalion. He joined the 85th from the 219th Battalion on Dec. 28 1916, Missing at Passchendaele Oct. 30 1917. Here is a photo if you would like one.

Regards

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Can you email me as well?

regards,

Jan

Jan,

Superb. Are all these men appearing in the database?

I have another one for you if interested?

Captain Francis Spencer 7th Notts & Derby Regt KIA 26/09/17, i have a photo and a little bit of info

Hello Anthony,

All these men will be shown in the database with as much information as possible.

We are still welcoming more men for the database, so we would be most interested in your details. Can you email me?

regards,

Jan

Jan

You have posted the names and we are replying,could you please answer our queries because I'm interested to know the answers :)

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug,

Sorry for the long waited replies. Due to the weekend a local bankholiday I have not been able to give you the desired answers. But here we are trying to get some order in here. Hopefully everybody can find their answers...

regards,

Jan

Thanks Andy!

regards,

Jan

Jan,

Second Lieutenant, Hon. A.E.G.A. Keppel.

Albert Edward George Arnold Keppel was the fourth son of the eighth Earl of Albemarle and Lady Gertrude Lucia Egerton, only child of the first Earl Egerton of Tatton. He was born in 1898 and educated at Eton and Sandhurst and was gazetted to the Regiment on 20th October 1915 - and later on joined a Battalion in France.

On 31st July when leading his platoon during a counter-attack before which the enemy were retiring, Lieutenant Keppel ran forward through the scrub with a Lewis gun in pursuit of some Germans and was shot dead. In a report of his death it was said that "the ground where he fell was never really held by us - he was so far ahead at the time." "Thus he died as he had lived, a Rifleman sans peur et sans reproche."

Andy

Jan

Albert Kenyon, 1/6th Cheshires KIA 20/9/17 - is one of "my original lads". His name is on a war memorial a few minutes but I know nothing about him. May I ask how his name was submitted to you and what information you have on him?

None of the other Cheshires are known to me, by the way.

John

Hi John,

A copy of his photo was send in by his grandson. His hasn't got much more personal info on him, except for the military information. He was killed in action, south of Tower Hamlets (east of Ypres, not far from the Menin Road).

Hope this helps,

regards,

Jan archives@passchendaele.be

Jan,

I will see what I can dig up on these officers, I have pictures of them somewhere.

Andy

Jan,

sincere thanks for including my great grandfather, Dixon Entwistle, who was killed on this day at Borry Farm.

Husband of Emma, father of Edith and Elizabeth, only surviving son of Susannah Entwistle-Schofield, nee Pilkington.

Rest Easy Dixon, you have been found and never will be forgotten.

Shelley (BC Canada)

Hello Andy,

I have got some 2598 soldiers in de database, but there are about 20 new ones, waiting to be entered. These have arrived the last two weeks or so by (snail)mail.

When the research is finished I will have more details on hmmm, let's say 95%?

The official "Passchendaele 1917 database" will be accessable in the new Visitors Centre at Tyne Cot Cemetery from the 12th of July 2007 onwards. Other ways of accessing the database are being discussed.

regards,

Jan

Hello Jan

Here is a photograph of 2nd Lieut. L A Kingham 6th Batt. Royal Berks from your list.

I am sorry that I have no further information.

Good luck with the project.

Regards

Mel

post-859-1157573203.jpg

Slight correction -pte Cross, Alfred James 31-jul-17 Rifle Brigade, 2nd Bn, should be Serjeant.

Mike

PS. Ref Lt Keppel....the story of the Keppels goes back to soldier, diplomat and courtier Arnold Joost van Keppel, who came to England from Holland in 1688 with William of Orange. As the first earl of Albemarle he later retired to Holland, where he died, but his son stayed in England and continued the Keppel name. The family tree includes names such as the Duchess of Cornwall and Judith Keppel - one the wife of the heir to the throne, the other the first winner of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Other famous relatives include Alice Keppel, the British socialite and mistress of Edward VII, eldest son of Queen Victoria. But what is probably not so well known is that the Keppel family has its roots firmly in Norfolk, the seat of the earls of Albemarle for nearly 200 years.

(This information culled from a newspaper report earlier this year).

Jan,

What about soldiers not on the list? I have some information on Cpl Isaac Charles Judges, 6th East Yorkshire regt, KIA 3 Oct 1917 near Langemarck. Let me know!

-Ski

Hello Teamski,

All soldiers are welcome if you have a photograph... . It is one of the aims of the project, getting details of soldiers with a photograph. So if you have one, please send it!

regards,

Jan

Jan

I have a copy of Berkshire at War on 5 CD roms which contain about 6,000 photos of service men with a Berkshire connection serving in virtually every regiment in the army.

I would be more than willing to crop photos from it for your project. My only problem is that none of the photos are dated as such.

If you have access to SDGW and can conduct a search for those born or enlisted in Berkshire within your time frame and let me have an alphabetical list then I can go through it.

.... or if someone else is prepared to do it :ph34r:

Regards

Mel

Hello Mel,

Thank you for the offer! That would be great.

Now where have I put the SDGW cd again...

As soon as I have the list, I will email it to you.

Hopefully somewhere next week.

cheers,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jan

Are you only interested in those with a photo, it would be a shame to leave those without photos out. I have all the names of the K.S.L.I. men who lost their lives during 3rd Ypres but no photos of them :( .

Hi Mel

I will have a look and see if any of the K.S.L.I. lads I mention above have a Berkshire connection, and if they do could I be very cheeky and ask for photos of them to add to my datebase, which hopefully will be going on-line some time in the next year or so.

Annette

Jan,

One missing from you list Lt Boyd, Royal Irish Fusiliers,

BOYD, WILLIAM GRAHAM

Initials: W G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/08/1917

Additional information: Son of the late Rev. R. H. Boyd and of Sarah Louisa Boyd, of Fitzroy, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 140 to 141.

I sent you a copy of a studio photograph, along with copies of correspondence from his mother to the war office trying to find out what became of her son as his body was never recovered. The museum has had a copy of this information as it was used at a presentation on the Royal Irish Fusiliers last year which was organised by Erwin. At the time this could not be found and you requested another copy.

One question which may have already being asked, will it be possible to access the photograph of these men on line?

Regards

Andy

Hi Jan

Just sent you some information on Pte Henry Collett 9th Oct 1917 and Bombadier Ernest Oswald Collett 28th September 1917, both are names on your list.

Regards

Liz

The Chaplain of 2nd RIR, Fr H.V. Gill, put the following into his diary:

‘During the night we had the misfortune to lose our M.O. [Lt. A.B. Ross, RAMC], a Scotsman loved and respected by all. He was the second doctor killed with the Battalion. A sad thing was that he had been suddenly recalled from leave and only arrived a day or two before.’