Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The List

greatspywar

Extracted from The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War

Reid Lt.-Col. Alexander Daniel DSO. Born in Edinburgh 2.2.1882, the son of Capt. William Thomas Reid JP, of Ardmeallie and Hazelwood, Banffshire, and Mrs Margaret Grieg Reid (daughter of James Grey) of Cowickan Station, Vancouver, BC, Canada. Educated at Westminster and Sandhurst. He was a Lt. in the Indian Army from 28.10.1902, serving on the Staff Corps and retired 26.4.1909.

Residing in Canada at the outbreak of war, he rejoined and was appointed to 7th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as a Major. In February 1915 he went to France with this unit. When they were at Leuze Wood, he had been left out of the battle but came forward on a visit during the night of 5.9.1916. The next day his CO, Lt.-Col. H.N. Young DSO, was seriously wounded and Reid assumed command. He himself was wounded soon afterwards. A WO telegram was sent to his mother, 11 September, advising that her son had been admitted to hospital in Rouen, 8 September, ‘with slight gunshot wound right eye’. Admitted to hospital in London, 12 September, with his name appearing on the wounded list in the Morning Post, 18 September. Rejoined his unit, 31.12.1916, and acted as CO until the return of Col. Young. Then served continuously as Second-in-Command with this battalion until 7.7.1917, and was awarded the DSO, 4.6.1917. ‘Not invested. Warrant not sent.’ Took over command of 1st RIR, 8.7.1917.

Whitfeld: ‘He arrived with the BM and got to work at once. Rather frightened us all and sacked some of the HQ Staff right away. I liked him very much. He was very thorough indeed.’

Killed in action, 31.7.1917. A telegram was sent to his mother, 3 August. She administered his will and requested that his DSO should be given to her other son, Lt. Henry Francis Reid ‘now serving in France’ with 7th Inniskillings. He had a sister Rachel Duff Reid also residing at the Vancouver address. Mentioned in Despatches, 22.5.1917, and awarded the Silver Medal for Military Valour (Italy), London Gazette 26.5.1917. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Jan,

I would like to see this man's photo.

Extract from The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War

Ross Capt. Arthur John. Born 22.5.1876 at Busby House, Renfrewshire, the eldest son of Charles John and Clarissa Findlay Ross (daughter of I. Wyllie Guild, Park Terrace, Glasgow), Oaken Holt, Oxfordshire, and Grosvenor Street, London SW. Educated at Britannia and had been a Mercantile Marine Officer, 1892–9, joining Paget’s Horse 1899.

Fought in the South African War (3.2.1900 to 24.6.1901) with the Imperial Yeomanry and later served as a Lt. with the 18th London Regt TF (London Irish Rifles). Married the Hon. Una Mary Dawson (later Lady Una Ross), 30.7.1904, at St Stephen’s Church, Kensington, daughter of the Hon. Anthony Lucius Dawson (son of the 1st Earl of Dartrey) and Mary Frances, Baroness de Ros (Premier Baroness of England), Old Court, Strangford, Co. Down, and 22 Wellington Court, Knightsbridge, SW. His address was Busby House, Renfrew. They had two sons: Peter, 8.8.1906, and Charles Dudley Anthony, 5.10.1907. Gazetted to 5th RIR in August 1904 and promoted to Capt., 7.6.1914. According to Thom’s Directory, 1912, he was a magistrate for Co. Down residing at Old Court.

Joined 1st RIR, 8.5.1915, the day before the unit suffered severe casualties at Rouges Bancs, but did not take part in the attack. He was Battalion Commander at Bac St Maur in the Divisional Reserve billets, 11–17 May 1915. One of the officers presiding at the FGCM of L/Cpl P. Sands, 30.8.1915 (later executed).

B Coy Commander. Wounded, 1.7.1916. ‘Fragments of metal above and below left elbow, no bone damage, damage to left hand’, and ‘He is also suffering from shock’. Evacuated to the UK, 6 July.

The MB declared him unfit for two months, 12 July. This was extended for a further two months, 12 September. A report, 1 November, said that he had been in a nursing home for six weeks and was still exhibiting shock symptoms. The MB at Kensington General Hospital, London, 2 November: unfit for another three months. The MB, 31.1.1917: unfit for general service for a further two months. It added another two months, 3 March, but, on examination 10 April, declared him fit. Rejoined the battalion, 4 May. During the attack of 31.7.1917 he was the acting liaison officer to 2nd Lincs.

Killed in action, 16.8.1917, and there are conflicting reports as to what happened. 25711 Cpl P.I. O’Connor, at No. 1 War Hospital, Reading, 18.9.1917: ‘ … killed by a shell crossing parapet in charge at Armentiers. His leg was blown off and he could not possibly have lived.’ 7184 Cpl Toner, Etaples, 10.9.1917: ‘He had his head blown off in the affair at Ypres on 16th August. I saw his headless body lying in a shell hole about 400 yards out from our front line, as I went past in the action.’ 43893 J. Jeffcott referred to Capt. Ross’ tattooed arm being found whilst going over the lines at 7 a.m. on the 16th. 7870 Rfn A. Madaine had him killed by a shell at 4 a.m., ‘head was cut clean off’. Against Madaine’s report had been typed ‘a very clear and intelligent informant’. 8978 Rfn W. Reilly, 1st RIR Bn Transport: ‘I took his body down to be buried to a spot about ¾ of a mile to the right of Ypres. It is about 100 yards off the main rood on the left going into Ypres from Menin. When I left there was no name put on that grave.’

A telegram was sent to his wife, 20 August, reporting Ross as missing on the 16th. His death was accepted for official purposes, 18.4.1918. An estate of £3,697.90 was left to his widow. Tyne Cot Memorial.

The main text for 1.7.1916 quotes the diary of Lt W.V.C. Lake:

'Presently Captain Ross, our Company Commander, came crawling along the trench quite oblivious of the groaning bodies that were under him. There was a glazed look on his face which was streaming with blood and in his mouth was a cigarette that would never light because of the blood on it. I said something as he passed but he made no answer, he just continued on his way on all fours like a wounded animal. I never saw him again and don’t know how far he got.'

2/Lt J.F. Eberli did not serve with 2nd R I Rifles, as stated by CWGC. SDITGW shows him as Royal Irish Regiment.

Hello Andy,

I'm not sure why I have not added him to the list yet. I will look into this matter as soon as I get back from the NA.

Thank you for reminding me of his file. I don' want to miss the Irish... .

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for sharing this. As soon as I'm back from London (Kew) I will add it to their files!

Thank you!

regards,

Jan

• 5 months later...

The following may be of interest for your archives. 27247 Pte. Michael Archbold MM 9th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers killed on the 16/08/1917 his name is on the Tyne Cot Memorial

post-58-1175620763.jpg

Jan,

Hope you are well and keeping busy.

Is it possible to get an update on the archive? I've noticed that when you download the file the last update is September 06. Have soldiers submitted since then being added or is it still work in progress?

Andy

Hello Andy,

We have just finished writing the book. I am presently updating the list. It will be on our website soon. I hope in the next two weeks.

I will keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Jan

The book will be ready by the end of June, beginning of July we hope. More news will be on the Forum and on our website.

I'll keep you all informed.

regards,

Jan

• 2 months later...

Is this a list of people killed or people who fought?

This person may be my great uncle.

pte Evans, Thomas 26-jul-17 KOYLI, 1st/4th BN

Jan,

Don't know if you have these but I have photographs and bio's of the following officers who all fell on the 31/7/17 near Ypres. Will look at later dates in a while.

2nd Lieut. G.W. Beachcroft, 3rd Royal Lancaster Regiment, 31/7/17

Major G.M. Bell, Hampshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Lieut. J. Carrick, Cameron Highlanders, 31/7/17

Capt. R.T. Colyer-Ferguson, Northamptonshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Capt. W.C. Dobbs, Middlesex Regiment, 31/7/17

Lieut. J.K. Falconer, Hampshire Regiment, 31/7/17

2nd Lieut. D.G.W. Hewitt, Hampshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Capt. S.H. Lowry, Hertfordshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Capt. A.R. Milne, Hertfordshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Capt. W.E. Roper, 5th Royal Lancaster Regiment, 31/7/17

2nd Lieut. T.P. Ward, 7th Northamptonshire Regiment, 31/7/17

Andy

• Admin

Hi Jan

Did you ever receive the form I sent about Cpl E W Serls, 44th Btn AIF, KIA 4-10-17?

Regards, Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I believe I did and I had the idea I have answered you? If not, please send it again. I will make sure to get back to you.

regards,

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

As you all have read, the book has been published, but finally I have managed to update the list on our website. It should now contain over 3,000 photos.

http://www.passchendaele.be

reactions, additions or questions, please via e-mail at archives@passchendaele.be

regards,

Jan

Great work Jan, thank you to you and all the team for the effort. Regards - David.

P.S. Is there any intention to turn the list into a searchable database with viewable images etc?

Hi David,

The list published on the website is just a copy of my work list. The actual database is much more detailed and sophisticated. It will be partially online in the future. Not sure when, but you can rest assure we are working on it. The full databases will be accessible in the Memorial Museum and on Tyne Cot Cemetery as soon as available.

Thank you for your interest. It is really motivating.

All the best,

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jan,

Here are the details of Captain Talbert Stevenson, 4/5th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), TF.

Captain Talbert Stevenson, Military Cross & Bar, is the son of Francis and Margaret Stevenson, of 10, Dudhope Terrace, Dundee. He served in the 4th (City of Dundee) Battalion, The Black Watch, (Royal Highlanders), Territorial Force. As a 2nd Lieutenant in the battalion, he was wounded on the 9th of May 1915 at Aubers Ridge, where he was recommended for the Military Cross. He re-joined the Battalion on the 9th of October. After the battle of Loos, due to losses, the 4th Battalion was temporarily formed into two companies (Numbers 5 and 6) and amalgamated with the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch. Lieutenant Stevenson commanded one of the companies. So good was his work that Colonel Wauchope wrote to the new Commanding officer (Colonel Sceales) about his commendable performance. During March 1916, the 4th Battalion had been amalgamated with the 5th Black Watch to form the 4/5th Battalion, The Black Watch. In the early days of the new battalion's existence, he planned and arranged a very successful raid on the German lines at La Bassee that was conducted on the evening of the 17th June 1916. After promotion to Captain, he was again wounded whilst commanding B Company, on the 13th November 1916, during the 39th Division’s successful attack on Saint Pierre Divion. This came less than a month after the Cambridgeshires and 4/5th Black Watch took the indomitable Schwaben Redoubt. He was awarded the Military Cross, the first time, on the 1st of January 1917, whilst convalescing at home. He rejoined the Battalion, in Ypres, on the 17th of July 1917 - on time to be involved in the Battalions' attack on the 1st day of the Third Battle of Ypres, 31st of July 1917. He was awarded the Military Cross a second time - which was gazetted on the 26th of November 1917 - at Ypres for: For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He got the battalion into its assembly position with great skill. On the morning after the attack he made a very valuable reconnaissance, obtaining urgent information under heavy machine gun and rifle fire. His gallantry and courage were most marked. He was killed on the 14th November 1917, whilst serving as the adjutant of the 4/5th Bn The Black Watch. He was much respected as a good officer within the battalion and is mentioned in William Linton Andrews’ book, Haunting Years:

Looking back on those days and on the physical torture inflicted upon my comrades, I am amazed that they stood it all with such heroism. Yet there were no incidences of cowardice on the part of the Black Watch. We were still a great battalion. Colonel Sceales, stern though he was, and had to be, inspired the utmost confidence. Men like Captain Stevenson, Lieutenant Scratton and Lieutenant Currey, always cheerful and efficient, were as much loved as any heroes of old

A fitting tribute to him is also found in A History of The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the Great War, Volume II:

Many of the finest officers in the Battalion had laid down their lives in the Salient, and - to name a few - men like Plimpton, Scratton, Stevenson and Paterson could hardly be replaced.

A fine bronze bust of Captain Stevenson is kept in the Great War room, within The Black Watch Museum, at Balhousie Castle, Perth.

I hope this can be used by you excellent database

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1187469812.jpg

I would be interested in the biography and photo of Thomas Pillans Ward, 7th Northamptons, please, Andy. He was both a local man and obviously from the Regiment I am researching also. Of course, if I can add anything I will do.

There were four other 7th Battalion Officer victims on the 31st July 1917 at Shrewsbury Forest:

Lt. Col. Edgar Mobbs, Lieutenant Sidney Howard Motion, Lieutenant Leigh Hales Halliday, Second Lieutenant Thomas Litchfield, Lieutenant Louis James Penard Laycock. I have some information on all four, though Colonel Mobbs is well known locally and thus there is fair amount more detail on his career.

Colyer-Fergusson V.C. is also of interest, of course!

Steve.

Steve,

PM me your e-mail address and I will send it off tomorrow along with a list of Northampton's I have in case they are of use to you.

Andy

Hi All,

Also, here is the Bronze bust of Capt Talbert Stevenson

Aye

Tom McC

PS - Many thanks to Steve (STEBIE) for providing the valuable details from the London Gazette

post-10175-1187478698.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

hello,

I have been working on the archives for a few weeks now, hope to be finisched by 2014 so we could go on line

I'll be needing help in the future, wardiaries, pictures, name it.

so one by one every file is going trough my hands and I have to check all the data we have and see if I can find more

kind regards

sabine

this is my email address

sdcguiding@skynet.be

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

I have been working on the archives for a few weeks now, hope to be finisched by 2014 so we could go on line

I'll be needing help in the future, wardiaries, pictures, name it.

so one by one every file is going trough my hands and I have to check all the data we have and see if I can find more

kind regards

sabine

this is my email address

sdcguiding@skynet.be

Hi Sabine,

I have various details on 5 Siege Battery RGA fatalities relating to 3rd Ypres if you can use them - I notice in the original list given in this thread only one 5 Siege Battery casualty is recorded. (During it's time in the salient the battery suffered 19 fatalities between 27th July and 22nd December 1917.)

All the best

Steve