Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Hospital Blues" - official designation/description etc

4thGordons

I have been looking at quite a few pictures of convalescent soldiers recently and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of the origin, official description/authorisation of and variations in this "uniform"? Also would anyone happen to have a colour picture(of a surviving set) or illustration? There seems to be a very significant variation in shade but it is difficult to tell on the basis of aged black and white pictures with varying qualities of exposure etc. I believe I read somewhere the blue jacket and trousers were worn with a white shirt and red (?) tie? - any information or references would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Great - thanks for this, it confirms what I thought I knew....(in itself unusual!).

I'm still looking for authorisation of this or under what conditions it was worn. I have been looking at pictures where some wounded are in SD jackets others in blues - was this just a matter of practicality or was it governed by some policy decision regarding the status of the wearer. Were these worn only on hospital gounds or elsewhere?

Thanks again

Chris

post-13272-1157190659.jpg

We have spoken about this before on the forum , its an interesting subject. I have posted this before but thought it may be of interest ?

Chris

There is reference to hospital clothing as far back as the 19th century. I do have some references to hospital blues in the AMS Museum and will look when I am back to work in a weeks time. There are also files in the National Archives on the subject.

We have quite a few examples for both male and females in the museum but all from WW2 and after.

The ensemble included dressing gowns, socks, slippers etc besides the jacket, trousers, shirt and tie we are familiar with.

When I first started working in military hospitals in 1966 all that was being worn by up patients was the white shirt and red tie, the rest having stopped being worn in the early sixties, I believe.

Pete Starling