Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chevrons

Guest KevinEndon

Kevin, depends of the type of chevrons, and on which sleeve.

Blue and red smallish ones on the cuff of the right sleeve: overseas service. Big chevrons on the cuff of the left sleeve: Long service/good conduct stripes. Chevrons in upper arm: rank.

There were other types of stripes, usually to denote Warrant NCOs: here Grumpy is the expert and not long ago there was an interesting thread with illustrations included.

Gloria

Good Conduct/Long Service. 3 years, I think.

The vertical one is (as you probably know) a wound stripe.

Guest KevinEndon

Hi Steven, if it is a lsgc chevron then would that entitle him to the lsgc medal? if so should there be a refrence on his M.I.C which there isn't and everyone in the family know of the trio and not a fourth, more info would be much appreciated.

Kevin aka PP

Your Lairdship

No - not an expert (by any means), but the LS&GC medal is for a long period of undetected crime. A LS chevron is for 3 years (I'm sure) - to get the gong you really had to 'get some in'. My bruvver did about 30 years (including Boy's Service), and came out as a WO1, but no LS&GC...some pettifogging offence when a Craftsman saw to that <_<

Good conduct badge [the chevron point up left sleeve] first badge 2 years, second six years. Regs are frequently mis-read ......... the three years was for locally recruited colonial native regiments in the main]