Remembered Today:

Avisit to NE Scotland

Roxy

Just been to the far NE. Thought some folks might like to see these memorials:

The War Memorial in Forres:

post-9169-1156975379.jpg

Roxy.

Is the memorial relatively new? I used to go to Forres occasionally to play golf but I never remember seeing this - although it was before I got interested in WW1.

Lovely golf course as well.

Neil

I am not certain when the Forres memorial was built, but it was there (I think) when i first arrived about 10 years ago.

Roxy

Roxy

Excellent photos. Many thanks for posting them

Regards

Adam

This following text about Forres WM is taken from this website:

http://www.alexandercarrick.webeden.co.uk/forres

"The Forres war memorial committee were so impressed with the Dornoch soldier when visiting Carrick's studio that they asked Carrick if he could reproduce the memorial for them. He refused feeling that the Dornoch concept was too specific and the towns too close to be copied. He therefore produced another simple and balanced figure for Forres based on his statuette 'Jock', exhibited at the R.S.A. exhibition of 1919.

Carrick could be a stickler for detail and wrote to the Forres committee requesting the loan of a Seaforth Highlander’s kilt from a local battalion to ensure that he got the pleating and the way in which the kilt hung exactly right.

Carrick had a more subordinate role at Forres with the overall conception and design of the memorial handled by the Aberdeen architect L. Marshall MacKenzie. Carrick was clearly concerned over the height of the pedestal even including the cairn in the sketch model which he sent to the architect, suggesting to MacKenzie that he saw a section off at the base to see how it would look if lowered. Carrick wrote to the architect ' My own opinion is that the cairn should not exceed eleven feet in height...if I may say so a cairn seems to be in good proportion at one and a half times the height of the figure'. In the end MacKenzie held to his original design with the tall cairn of blue whinstone from the Califer quarry, itself standing on a raised mound in the park. The memorial was unveiled in 1922 and the local authority has won awards over recent years for the exceptionally high standard of the gardens around the monument."

Roxy,

Thanks for posting the pics.

Great pics Roxy,

I thought I'd add in a pic of the Lossiemouth memorial. This is a really unsuual one I don't think I've seen on the forum before. It is set into the cliff face at the harbour. The sculpture was by Percy Portsmouth who also executed the Elgin memorial.

post-4067-1157285696.jpg

Jamie,

Thanks for the Lossie pic. I would have taken one myself, but for the Lossie Raft Race - and the rain!

Roxy