Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Panels at Tyne Cot

chuffinell

My family and I are hoping to visit Tyne Cot in January next year.

We are looking for the name of Private William Malone of the 1st/4th Bn York and Lancaster Regiment. From the CWGC the Memorial Reference is Panels 125 to 128.

My query is - does anyone know if these panels are at high level or can the names be easily read? I am asking because one member of our party is partially sighted.

The panels are not high and can be easily read by someone at ground level. However, this depends on the degree of sight loss affecting your companion.

The panels are from a couple of feet off the ground to about ten or so feet high. With luck your name will be lower than that.

My family and I are hoping to visit Tyne Cot in January next year.

We are looking for the name of Private William Malone of the 1st/4th Bn York and Lancaster Regiment. From the CWGC the Memorial Reference is Panels 125 to 128.

My query is - does anyone know if these panels are at high level or can the names be easily read? I am asking because one member of our party is partially sighted.

Hi

Terry is correct about the panels being 2 to 10 feet high, and easily readable.

However, my experience is that whenever I want to find a name, it is always 9ft 11 from the ground rather than 2ft 1.

Bruce

Hi and welcome to the Forum

Here is a picture of some of the panels that I took while recently visiting, the people in the photo are actually at a lower level, but hopefully this gives you some idea of what it will look like.

post-10785-1156897700.jpg

Regards Phil

hi chuffinel,will be at tyncote this weekend do you want me to photograph panel for you???????????l

perhaps if you take a small pair of binoculars for your friend just in case the name is at the top it might help.

Mandy

hi chuffinel,will be at tyncote this weekend do you want me to photograph panel for you???????????l

I would be so pleased if you could take a photo of the panel - it's very kind of you to offer.

Regards,

Joan.

perhaps if you take a small pair of binoculars for your friend just in case the name is at the top it might help.

Mandy

Binoculars are a good idea - not only for Fred - I may also need them, I'm getting shorter each year.

Regards,

Joan

say no more its done do you want me to post it or send to you???????????????

just a quickie as wife giving me grief about packing when i said post i refered to posting it on the forum ?????????

just a quickie as wife giving me grief about packing when i said post i refered to posting it on the forum ?????????

My grand-daughter had guessed, correctly, what you meant. Have a good journey.

Regards,

Joan

hi,found your man,if you stand facing the back panels with the cross of rememberance to your left on the back right hand side you will see an alcove,go in, panel 127 is on your right your man is at the bottom about 2 ft from the ground,hope this has helped

biffo

another for you

post-2161-1157409481.jpg

hi,found your man,if you stand facing the back panels with the cross of rememberance to your left on the back right hand side you will see an alcove,go in, panel 127 is on your right your man is at the bottom about 2 ft from the ground,hope this has helped

biffo

another for you

Thank you for taking the trouble to photograph the memorial panel for William Malone. The photo's are beautifully clear and, with your directions, we should be able to find Williams name on the panel quite easily.

We're also lucky that the name is at the bottom of the panel.....

Regards,

Joan

only to pleased to have helped thats what the forum is all about helping each other