Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pebbles on headstones

Matt Dixon

In many CWGC cemeteries I have noticed pebbles have been placed on the top of jewish headstones. Why?

Matt

just so you know, I'm one of the people who puts pebbles on headstones of the Jewish dead. I've never seen the film that is referred to, and neither am I Jewish, but I learnt about the custom many years ago. I think it's a lovely simple way to show someone is remembered, or respected, for what they did.

Another custom I have seen in recent times that applies mainly to WW2 is for Canadian visitors to place coins on the headstone, usually quarters.

Garth

Im one of those Canadians that put coins on top of headstones. I heard about people doing it and I think its an excellant way to show that they are remembered and have been visited by another Canadian who appreciates and won't forget their sacrifice. It also shows other visitors that Canadains still visit their fallen heroes.

Paul K

I am a [practising, not notional] Christian who also puts pebbles on Jewish headstones. It came about this way:

Some years ago there was a wave of anti-semitism in CWGC sites in F&F. Shortly after, I ran a minibus of friends to those areas, and one remarked on the pebbles. We added two and two, got five, and assumed the pebbles were markers for subsequent vandalism. So swept all the pebbles away.

I boasted of this act of charity and goodness when I got home and was mortified by the correct explanation.

So, wherever I see a Jewish headstone, I place a pebble, say sorry, and say a prayer.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The laying of stones on headstones or graves is a sign of respect that dates back many centuries. You do not have to be Jewish to lay a stone, so next time you see a headstone adorned as such show your respect by doing this simple act.

Ian

A delightful explanation given to me by a Jewish teacher not long ago (although it only adds a little to what has already been said) is that the practice dates back to ancient times, when new graves were often covered with a heavy layer of stones to discourage wild animals from digging.

Travellers who came upon such a grave later could do a small service to the memory of the buried person by ensuring that the stone covering was still substantial and neatly in place, either by replacing any fallen stones or by bringing new ones.

So the placing of stones had a practical as well as a memorial purpose. The teacher told me, "Jewish people place stones for remembrance, just as Christians place flowers."

Tom

I'm inclined to agree with your Jewish teacher, Tom.

Especially as we're talking about a culture which developed in a dessert region, or at best an area of rocky hills with a shallow soil strata and an abundance of stones

Regards

Michael D.R.