Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of 12th East Surrey Reg Platoon?

Rev Mark Noakes

Below are photos taken probably in UK before deployment, showing a platoon(?) of the 12th East Surrey's. It was probably taken before October 1916 when my Great Grandfather (circled) was sent to France. Unsure of his enlistment date so can not give an earliest date for the photo. It is possible these were taken in France, but within a month of arrival he was transfered to the 24th Royal Fusiliers so it seems unlikely.

I hope these assumptions are correct.

If so, can anyone name any other faces?

Or, can someone hazzard a guess at the location?

Yours, hoping...

Mark

PS - I have the company photo as well, but the faces aren't recognisable at the suitable scale

post-14234-1156794303.jpg

The chap on your grand-dad's left looks as if he has Territorial shoulder titles - if you look, you can see something above the curved lettering. Also the age ranges are something: grand-dad looks a bit of an old stager (if I might be so bold), whereas the lad on the left rear of the pic looks quite a young shaver.

Interesting the coloured chap on the rear right, too.

i do wonder if it's in France; has the feel of a training camp to me.

BTW - I'll respond to the PM tomorrow when I have a bit of time.

The chap on your grand-dad's left looks as if he has Territorial shoulder titles - if you look, you can see something above the curved lettering. Also the age ranges are something: grand-dad looks a bit of an old stager (if I might be so bold), whereas the lad on the left rear of the pic looks quite a young shaver.

Interesting the coloured chap on the rear right, too.

i do wonder if it's in France; has the feel of a training camp to me.

BTW - I'll respond to the PM tomorrow when I have a bit of time.

Thanks Steven

I've managed to shrink the larger photo a bit better, so it may add something. Thinking further, could this be an 'end of basic training' type passing out snap, with the small group a training platoon and the larger one an intake company?

post-14234-1156841455.jpg