Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DID HE DIE ?

dhubthaigh

Alyth War Memorial, Perthshire bears the name GEORGE CORBETT. The folowing was taken from the local paper;

BLAIRGOWRIE ADVERTISER: 26.08.16

Pvt. George Corbett, Durham Light Infantry, nephew of Miss Corbett, David Street, died of wounds on 8th August. Deceased, who was only 16½ years of age (sic), had been fourteen months at the Front, and was in Leeds at the time of enlistment. His father, Company-Sergeant Major Edward Corbett, who was wounded, was a baker with the late Mr Thoms, Alyth. Deceased’s grandfather was late coachman to Dr Bremner.

HOWEVER, I cannot find George Corbett on the SDGW or CWGC. I have looked at the civil death indices for 1916 without success. I cannot even find him on the MIC nor anything with his fathers details!

I did get his birth certificate which shows born 26TH September 1900 at 25 Bridlington Street, Bramley, Leeds. This would make him only 15 when he died.

My mother remembers George Corbett's aunt still lived in the town into the 1960's. The War Memorial was dedicated in 1922. Surely any erroneous information would have been clarified prior to then.

Is this one of 'THOSE ONES'. Any thoughts Pals.

regards,

Mark

joined as an alias to hide his age ?

one of these perhaps ?

post-3871-1156677787.jpg

joined as an alias to hide his age ?

seconded, he probably lied about his name to cover his age.

so you dont really know.

question is ,did anyone notify establishment when he died as he died at home of wounds. if not then they may not appear on records.

I suggest trying regimental records as , as far as they were concerned , if it was his real name he may have lasted the campaign.

There was often little or no checking of names for local memorials. Also, the criteria for inclusion varied greatly.

You need some form of official confirmation that this person died as stated before you can go further.

An alias name is a good possible here.

I'm not getting an Corbetts on the CWGC from the Durham Light Infantry, from 1914 - 17, even with other initials. Maybe the surname was spelt differently on the CWGC. Although I tried Corbet, too.

Maybe he switched regiments? How about:

Name: CORBETT

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: York and Lancaster Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/09/1916

Service No: 19947

Additional information: Son of Mrs. M. Corbett, of 14, Dover St., Kirkstall Rd., Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 2.

Cemetery: BLIGHTY VALLEY CEMETERY, AUTHUILE WOOD

Edit - nope he died too late

Is this one of 'THOSE ONES'.

Mark

Possibly. But I think you need to eliminate a couple of possibiltiies first.

I'm starting from the premise that the newspaper information is wrong and it somehow went uncorrected up until the time when the memorial was erected. I am saying this because it is fairly rare for a man who died overseas to be missing form CWGC and SDGW.

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card? have you searched for his papers at the National Archives?

You say you've checked the civil death index for 1916 without success? He wouldnt be in the civil list. he'd be int he GRO military overseas deaths and you need to see if he's there. If he is, then you can be reasoanbly sure that he might indeed be "one of those".

If he isnt then you might still need to do some digging. The reason for this is that he had obviously moved well away from his native area to enlist in Leeds. So, perhaps, you need to see if you can find any reference in the Leeds newspapers to his death. Also, it may be helpful for you to look in the edition of the Blairgowrie paper reporting the unveiling of the memorial in 1922. These can often carry additional information about the men commemorated.

If you do then still suspect that he "one of those", then without any hard evidence (like a death certificate) you're going to have an almost impossible job persuading the MoD to accept a bid for him to be commemorated by CWGC. They will not accept an uncorroborated newspaper report - although the fact he's commemorated on the Memorial is good additioonal circumstantial information. These were the two pieces of information I had when I started with my "missing man". I was lucky to find more and have a Member of Parliament willing to take up case with CWGC/MoD.

Good luck

John

John

Mark,

Have you tried using his mothers maiden name if you know it? As Coldstreamer said he moght have used an alias, although usually you can still find them on the CWGC.

Mandy

Thanks all for the input. Firstly George's mothers ms was Roberts, had a quick go at this without success.

In relation to the unveiling report there was no additional info at this time.

The following piece also appeared in the paper;

In the course of his duties carrying in wounded recently, Pvt. Dan Corbett R.A.M.C., found his brother Edward and the latter’s son, George, both Durham Light Infantry, wounded. It is ten years since the brothers met, Edward was a baker with the late Mr Thoms, and Dan was in the employment of Mr Adam, Chemist. Their elder sister, Robina, resides in David Street.

The extracts I have were from the Alyth Guardian and the Blairgowrie Advertiser. I don't have it on hand but the Peoples Journal also reported the above incident but qualified by saying that George Corbett had since died.

Now there is a Daniel Corbett listed with the RAMC. However as I said initially nothing appears on the MIC for an Edward Corbett CSM! (George's father).

I have not explored the Archives to see if his papers survived but if he enlisted unders an assumed name...?

It really is a frustrating one.

In relation to newspapers is there anyone that could check the Leeds papers of the time for any info?

Sould I post this request elsewhere?

Any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

regards,

Mark

To dd to what John said, I have seen an article in a local newspaper that detailed the death of one of the gunners of the Ross Mountain Battery, 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, RGA, at Gallipoli. He was severely wounded, but survived and was in hospital in England. It took some time for his grieving parents to find out the truth. This Gunner survived the war and became a minister.

Mike Morrison

Now there is a Daniel Corbett listed with the RAMC. However as I said initially nothing appears on the MIC for an Edward Corbett CSM! (George's father).

Mark,

Can you be certain that this is not the father? I realize he's not DLI but it sounds like you need a few more facts before eliminating him. He's the only return for MIC search for Edward Corbett with CSM keyword.

Medal card of Corbett, Edward Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

Cheshire Regiment 240031 Company Serjeant Major

Also, have you actually pulled the MICs for the following men (third are fourth appear to be the same man)? You may find George used his real name while enlisting and some small detail recorded on the MIC or corresponding medal roll may give you a new search path.

Medal card of Corbett, George H

Corps: Durham Light Infantry

Regiment No: 17973

1914-1920 WO 372/5

Medal card of Corbett, George J

Regiment No: 201237

1914-1920 WO 372/5

Medal card of Corbett, George

Regiment No: 104296

1914-1920 WO 372/5

Medal card of Corbett, George

Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers

Regiment No: 23/166

1914-1920 WO 372/5

Good Luck,

Jane

if he enlisted under an alias,then how did the papers know so much about him,they could only have got the info from his NOK because the authorities wouldnt know most of the personal info,that could only come from family,how did the authorities know who to contact when he died,if he was under an alias,this would surely have been mentioned in his obit,i noticed that in the above list of names,theres a JOHN SMITH ;) one of the most commonist used alias,s,good luck,hope you find him,bernard

Alyth War Memorial, Perthshire bears the name GEORGE CORBETT. The folowing was taken from the local paper;

BLAIRGOWRIE ADVERTISER: 26.08.16

Pvt. George Corbett, Durham Light Infantry, nephew of Miss Corbett, David Street, died of wounds on 8th August. Deceased, who was only 16½ years of age (sic), had been fourteen months at the Front, and was in Leeds at the time of enlistment. His father, Company-Sergeant Major Edward Corbett, who was wounded, was a baker with the late Mr Thoms, Alyth. Deceased’s grandfather was late coachman to Dr Bremner.

regards,

Mark

Mark, you could try back tracking from the father. See if you can find a newspaper article about the father's wounding and see if it has a reference to his son. His father's records may have a notifacation of his son's death.

Cheers

Kim

Is this the family from the 1901 census? If so, then his father was from Scotland, but George was a Leeds local/native.

View Sort by Name Sort by Age Sort by Where born Sort by Administrative county Sort by Civil parish Sort by Occupation

George E Corbett 0 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley

Maggie Corbett 10 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley Scholar

Florrie Corbett 13 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley

James Corbett 19 Scotland Leeds Armley Labourer Telegraph Construction

Ada Corbett 24 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley

John W Corbett 25 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley Gas Stoker

Edward Corbett 30 Scotland Forfar Leeds Armley Baker & Confectioner

Emma Corbett 48 Yorks Stanningley Leeds Armley

William Corbett 49 Camb March Leeds Armley Gas Stoker

Jane Corbett 66 Yorks Leeds Leeds Armley

Ian

Ian,

The family at 1901 census were Edward, Ada and George E residing Armley, Leeds.

regards,

Mark

• 10 years later...

After more than a decade I have found the death of George Edward Corbett. He drowned as a result of HMS Ivy being swamped on the 20th January, 1920 at Haifa. (date of birth and mother's name correspond with his birth certificate).

CORBETT, G E

Service No: SS/9760
Date of Death: 20/01/1920
Regiment/Service:Royal Navy H.M.S. " Ivy" 
Grave Reference: B. 84. 
Cemetery: HAIFA WAR CEMETERY

However, this does not explain the newspaper report from around four years earlier. Was it completely erroneous or was George indeed wounded in France at that time whilst underage?

If anyone has access to casualty lists from around the period August, 1916 and can pick up an entry for Corbett that would be interesting, and appreciated.

If we can determine when his naval number was issued it would give an upper limit as to when he could have been discharged from the army. It is certainly possible for him to have served and been discharged, for whatever reason, and then end up in the navy.

Craig

The only Medal Index Card for CSM Edward A(rthur) Corbett is the the Cheshire regiment. #531 and #240031.

If George was wounded at the same time as his father Edward then you'd expect that they would be on the casualty list.

#531 Corbett appears on a published casualty list in the newspapers of 16 June 1916 - so certainly in the correct time period. The residence for Corbett (or possibly that of a relative) is give as Goodier Street, Sale. I can't see any other Corbett on the same reports.

I can't see any suitable records with the DLI so that looks to me to be erroneous in any case.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

His name apperas in a post HMS IVY Haifa way back 28th Sept 2007 he died with two others in a boat accident.

Another source - drowned when a whaler was swamped.

Edited by ralphjd

Born 28 9 1900 first service date 28 9 1918 on Vivid 1 - from UK Royal Navy Registers of Seamens Services (Ancestry). Ralph.

14 minutes ago, ralphjd said:

Born 28 9 1900 first service date 28 9 1918 on Vivid 1 - from UK Royal Navy Registers of Seamens Services (Ancestry). Ralph.

Ta

So, potentially, we're looking at a discharge date between mid 1916 and Sep 1918.

The age of this man certainly would fit the 16 1/2 age given in the first post for August 1918.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252