Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Feild Artillery

Swally

Hi Guys,

I have since found out that although my Granda served with the RHA 1902 - 1907 when war broke out he joined up in Bo'ness near Edinburgh and was part of the RFA.

I know for sure that he went with the B.E.F. and fought at Mons.

Knowing these facts could some kind soul try and establish which Brigade he may have been with?

Or is it too small a needle in too large a haystack?

cheers in advance,

Swally

the medal index card (and then the medal rolls) might give you further details to who exactly he belonged to

the medal index card (and then the medal rolls) might give you further details to who exactly he belonged to

Coldstreamer,

Thanks for the speedy reply,

The medal index cards are not a lot of good for this matter, there are many Robert Allans, having had a look at other MIC sadly they do not give his address or next of kin to confirm we have the right one. If you could poss suggest another way forward I would be obliged.

I have had a researcher have a look for his service record under the RHA but it does not exist, I have asked him to look under RFA hopefully this will give us a result.

I am going to Falkirk district library on Monday to see if I can get any leads as I know that he was shot, gassed and hit by shrapnel so hopefully there will be a mention in the local rag that will give his regiment or am I being to hopeful.

Cheers for that,

Swally

Sorry Swally, am I missing something here? If your researcher was looking for service records for R Allans at the NA who were in the RHA, he surely must have noted those in the RFA and RGA at the same time. Also a vast proportion of the MIC's could have been eliminated very quickly on site at Kew as you know he served at Mons.

Regards