Remembered Today:

Research

alan jones

Hello,

Anyone researching RWR could do a lot worse than visit Coventry Library, Local Studies. I have been there this morning and there is a wealth of info. In particular, an 'old boy' has indexed all the contents of Coventry Graphic for WW1 period . Its indexed by names of soldiers mentioned and pictured in each copy and there are lots of pictures and photos as well. I found photos of 4 great uncles, 3 in RWR and QMSM in ASC ! Also plenty of Midland Howitzer info.

I shall return !

Regards

Alan

you did well - I went to the library (not local studies) and was disappointed with the ww1 content in the papers - didnt find anything I was looking for

Alan,

Thanks for that! In your browsing I don't suppose you came across anything relating to the drowning of nine of 5th Warwicks soldiers near Blyth on the 24th August 1917 did you?

They were cooling off after a route march and didn't realise the bay there had dangerous currents. One of the them is from the school war memorial I'm researching - Lt Kenneth Wallace Brown.

Bob.

Alan,

Thanks for that! In your browsing I don't suppose you came across anything relating to the drowning of nine of 5th Warwicks soldiers near Blyth on the 24th August 1917 did you?

They were cooling off after a route march and didn't realise the bay there had dangerous currents. One of the them is from the school war memorial I'm researching - Lt Kenneth Wallace Brown.

Bob.

Hello Bob,

I will have a look for that drowning next time I am in there.

Regards

Alan

Don't forget the Coventry Herald either, although it's not indexed. It too carrys a quite a number of stories and photographs, which are often of better quality, although not to the same volume as the Graphic, which was quite an advanced newspaper for the time. The Standard is also worth looking at but needs a lot of patience as the reproduction on microfilm makes it difficult to read and copy.

Also check out the works magazines which are on open shelves in the back room. Two in particular stand out: the Rudge magazine which lists huge numbers of men from its Coventry factory and also depots around the country, including potted biographies and photographs. Rudge provided all the men for D Company, 7th RWR prior to the war. The second is the Siddeley- Deasy magazine which has similar content. Equally some school magazines provide a lot of information, in particular those for Bablake and Henry VIII schools.

Terry Reeves