Remembered Today:

Pte John Souness [8th Royal Scots]

Guest mruk

I was kindly sent these photographs by George [dycer], and thought I would like to share them with the Pals on the Forum. They are before and after shots of 'Sailly-Sur-La-Lys Churchyard, in the Pas de Calais region, southeast of Armentieres. The Churchyard marks the final resting place of George's Uncle, Pte. John Souness [No. 582] who died in January 1915, aged 19 years. John was serving with the 8th Bttn Royal Scots at the time, and was originally from Haddington in Scotland. His older brother, Sergeant George Speed Haddington [No. 325002], was killed in March [22nd] 1918, serving with the same battalion and regiment. George is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, his body never recovered. R.I.P. John and George Souness.

Dave

post-13441-1156516235.jpg

Sergeant George Speed Souness [No. 325002] K.I.A. 22-3-1918 [8th Royal Scots Service Battalion] Arras Memorial Bay 1 and 2. Son of the late Charles Constable Souness and Annie Speed Souness, Haddington, Scotland

Dave,

Thank you for posting the photos

Colleagues,

In the War time photo John's Cross is the one on the far left.

In the modern photo,his Headstone is in the far left, at the corner of the hedge.You will see a line of five headstones and they compare with the four shown on the War time photo.

I have no idea what Nationality the Casualties are behind the War time Crosses.It is clear,though,from the modern photo, that they were removed and the hedge grown as a boundary between the Civilian Cemetery and CWGC plot contained within it.

You will understand,when I say,I much prefer a visit to Sally than to Arras.

Trust the photos are of interest.

George

• 2 weeks later...