Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cape Town (Maitland) Cem

InkyBill

Hello everyone

Will be in Cape Town next week and if i have time am planning to visit Cape Town (Maitland) CWGC Cem. If anyone needs pictures of headstones i'll see what i can do, let me know by 9am the latest on Saturday 1st Nov.

Marc

Hi Marc

If you do get there would appreciate a photo of the following grave.

5407 - Pte Ernest McGregor 28th Battalion AIF - Died of Disease 03/01/17 - Maitland Cemetery, Grave Ref: Section 4.97447A.

Cheers

Andrew

Marc,

I would be grateful if you could get me a photo of Pte. J Stoney, 21581, West Yorkshire Regiment, died 10/05/17 aged 32. Grave ref Sec. 4. 97452C.

Thanks & if i can return the favour, i will be in the Ypres Salient in a couple of weeks time.

Colin

James Joseph Jordan, please

Name: JORDAN, JAMES JOSEPH

Initials: J J

Nationality: Australian

Regiment: Australian Infantry, A.I.F

Unit Text: 38th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/07/1916

Service No: 64

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Ann Jordan, of 28, Havelock St., Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 4. 97192C.

Cemetery: CAPE TOWN (MAITLAND) CEMETERY

Christine

• 1 month later...

Here is the photo Marc took for me, plus a puzzle- how did the only VC buried at Maitland Cemetery (H H Glasock) win his honour?

Thanks very much, Marc. Can't read your postmark, but it arrived today- 4 December

post-19-1070499987.jpg

GLASOCK, Horace Henry. (reg No. 452).

Driver. 'Q ' Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.

London Gazetted on 26th June, 1900.

Born on 16th October, 1880 at Islington, London.

Died on 13th February, 1920 in South Africa.

Memorial at grave in Maitland Cemetery, Cape Town, South Africa.

Digest of Citation reads:

On 31st March 1900 at Korn Spruit, South Africa, two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery were ambushed with the loss of most of the baggage column and five guns of the leading battery. When the alarm was given 'Q' battery went into action 1150 yards from the spruit, until the order to retire was received, when the major * Commanding the battery ordered the guns and their limbers to be run back by hand to a safe place. This most exhausting co-operation was carried out by, among others, Driver Glasock, a sergeant* and a Gunner * and when at last all but one of the guns and one limber had been moved to safety, the battery was reformed.

* Along with Driver Glasock three other Victoria Crosses were awarded by ballot. See also E J Hornby (reg No. 595) C.E.H. Parker (reg No 962 ) and I. Lodge (reg No. 749)