Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

SFayers

Hi folks,

I wonder if any Tyneside Scottish experts among the Pals can help me out here? Can anyone tell me what the 22nd Battalion were up to and where they were on 11th April 1918? A chap I'm researching was killed / went missing in action on this day. I can only presume this would have been during the Battle of the Lys.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

Steve

Steve

22 Battalion suffered greatly on 21st March with many killed and taken prisoner.

They recieved reinforcements on 29 March (140 men) and 31st March (106 men).

The area they were situated in was known as the Bois Grenier Line and on 5th April the whole Tyneside Scottish Brigade (102 Bde), was in the front line.

On 10th April, due to the division on the left being attacked, the brigade decided to withdraw and 22 Bn withdrew by companies under fire.

The 22nd and 23rd Bn were placed in defensive positions in the Estaires - Lys line.

The 22nd got into difficulty due to heavy machine gun fire.

The Germans attacked again at dawn on 11th April from the south and forced their way into the area of Pont de Nieppe allowing them to open fire into the rear of the 22nd and 23rd Bns.

C Company covered the withdrawal of the battalion and virtually the whole of C Company became casualties after holding the enemy up for some time.

The brigade withdrew to the Nieppe system and held the enemy, despite repeated attacks, but then had to withdraw as they were outflanked. They withdrew to Pont d'Achelles and spent the night in open fields at the junction of the De Seule - Neuve Eglise road.

By the 14th April, 102 Brigade had suffered so badly that it formed a composite battalion, with three companies, one company commanded by a Lieutenant and the other two by Second Lieutenants.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Many thanks for the information - much appreciated! Could you please tell me what the source is?

cheers

Steve

The book 'Tyneside Scottish' by Graham Stewart and John Sheen.

Graham is an 'Old Sweat' on this site and may be able to help you more.

Sean

The book 'Tyneside Scottish' by Graham Stewart and John Sheen.

Graham is an 'Old Sweat' on this site and may be able to help you more.

Sean

Thanks again Sean.

cheers

Steve