Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

X TRENCH

mutley

Does any forum member know what excavations are being conducted in the area of X Trench cemetery? I was there last week and a large area was marked off with tape and there were what appeared to be test pits dug around the site. Are there plans to build there?? :huh:

(...) in the area of X Trench cemetery? (...)

I suppose you mean near Track X Cemetery, on the outskirts of Boezinge, and northeast of Ypres ? (Also the CWCG Cemetery where there was a reburial of a British soldier on 12 September.)

This is near the end of the A19 motorway, for which there are extension plans in the future. This means that the motorway might go through Pilkem Ridge. So our Minister Paul Van Grembergen assigned the IAP (Institute Archaeological Heritage) to make some test excavations to find out if this area was historically important enough to protect it (and halt the extension plans). What you saw was the result of these IAP excavations.

Aurel

Yes Aurel that is exactly what I meant, please accept my apologies, it had been a long day and an even longer drive home!! Do you know what the results of the excavations were?

All I know is that they were not "spectacular". (Of course : what is "spectacular" ?...)

I do remember that maybe a month or two ago remains were found too (apart from the trenches of course). If I remember correctly : 4 (can't remember whether it was Surrey or Suffolk Rgt., and 1 Northumberland fusilier).

I have just been informed that the results will be made public on a press conference 10 november.

Aurel

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the outcome of the Press Conference that Aurel refers to?? A collegue at work today said that he caught something on the news saying that a number of bodies had been found and the remains of a trench system somewhere on the western front. Can anyone shed any light??