Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does ASD mean?

suzie.bourne

My great grandfather was a career soldier (joined up in 1892?) and still serving in WW1 - transferred to the RFC in 1917, and transferred back again in 1919.

On his service record for the RFC it says he wsa part of No. 2 ASD. What does this mean?

He was originally a Lt. Quartermater, then became an Hon. Captain. He was mentioned in dispatches twice and was awarded the MBE in 1919- but I have no idea what sort of activities he would actually have done!

I was under the impression that he was involved in keeping stores / overseeing stock - but it sounds fairly uneventful to me?? No disrepect to him, or others intended, but how does a 'stock man' end up with an MBE???

Thanks for shedding some light onto the meaning of ASD.

Does any one know where ASD 2 was? (Did it move around?!) Also is there a reference guide / website that describes the jobs of land crew?

I know the 'glamour' side of the war in the air deserves to have centre stage - but what about the admin and logistics support? Are there accounts of these roles?

You may want to "talk" to member "jnd167" as his Grandfather, Allen Denison, seems to have worked with your great-grandfather and was possibly his boss!

Have a look at this Topic on the Forum:

Steve.

• 4 months later...

2 Aeroplane Supply Depot was formed at Fienvillers in November 1917, as part of 2 Aircraft Depot and serving squadrons on the southern part of the Front that worked with the Third & Fifth Armies and 9th (HQ) Wing. It comprised an Issues Section, a Repair Section and a Pilots Pool.

The March 1918 offensive meant that the unit had to be pulled back. On the 25th, the Issue Section moved to St Andre-aux-Bois and the Repair Section to the coast at Verton.

The unit was at Hesdin by May until at least July.

It was a Berck-sur-Mer by August 1918 and still there at the time of the Armistice (ASD & Pilots Pool) with the Issues Section and Avanced Pilots Pool at Fienvillers.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for shedding some light!

my war research has taken rather a back seat to my job for a while ... but I'm still trying to piece together GGFs life and times during WW1.

Thanks for your help so far.

• 2 years later...

Mick (if you are still on this forum),

Could I ask your source for saying the unit was a Berck from August until the Armistice? I've some aerial photos of the airfield taken in Feb 1919 and there's hardly anything there apart in respect of accommodation other than four hangers and a small number of huts.

Brian

I know the 'glamour' side of the war in the air deserves to have centre stage - but what about the admin and logistics support? Are there accounts of these roles?

A clerk of either 22 or 48 Squadron RFC (can't remember which... 22 I think, i'll check) was blundering about during the hectic period post-21st March 1918 when the Germans were conducting their Spring offensive, and was told by the CO of the Squadron that he was of no use to him, and to get a rifle and go towards the front.

The clerk took his comment seriously, got a rifle, walked off down the road towards the front line when a formation of German aircraft flew over, very low. The clerk fired his rifle at the German aircraft, and managed to shoot dead one of the pilots, and the aircraft crashed half a mile away from the aerodrome!