Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery 1917

Guest bevheke

Kia ora from New Zealand,

I am searching for any information/photographs etc of Morris Blair Beveridge who was a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. He may have been a POW. The only information I have is he was married to Mary CRAWFORD in Scotland around 1904/5 and two children I know of are Morris Fairley Beveridge b 1911 in Scotland and Jessie Stewart Beveridge b 1917 in 14 Banstead Street, Peckham (?) Camberwell, County of London.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Bev

New Zealand

Bev

Kia Ora and Welcome to the Great War forom.

You have come to the right place for info.

The best piece of advice I can give you at this point is we will need any info at all no matter how insignificant you think to help us.

The artillery was the largest arm of the British army, there were many many gunners, any info at all might help us locate your man and come up with his war service actions. A couple of questions, what makes you think he may have been a POW, and why have you specified 1917 as the year you are intersted in. Do you have any documentation at all relating to his army service, be it a pay book, or discharge papers etc.

The more you can provide, the more we will be able to assist.

Best regards Aaron.

There is an excellent link on this site to a list of POW - i ll try and find the link

heres the address

http://1914-1918.net/POW/index.php

Kia ora Aaron and Coldstreamer,

I appreciate your prompt responses. Firstly I am researching on behalf of a cousin. Morris Blair BEVERIDGE was her grandfather. The ONLY information we have is from his daughter's birth certificate of 18 Oct 1917 showing Morris Blair BEVERIDGE as being a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. And that's all we have. The reference to POW was from the data on this site listing POWs (via the url provided by Coldstreamer) where it refers to a Lieut Beveridge, Highland Light Infantry 14th Unit Index Page 44, Details CAPTURE Pages '2940'. This is probably NOT my man as it doesn't show any christian names or any other detail. And the Light Infantry is not the Royal Field Artillery - or is it??? I know NOTHING of military 'speak'. I am grabbing at straws here. As Morris was born in Scotland I 'connected' the Highland bit with that clue.

We have absolutely NOTHING else to go on, so our quest is very interesting to say the least. We don't even know what he looked like - hence the request for photos.

Referring back to the POW reference, the records are actually held in the National Archives and have to be viewed on site, and the information above relates to where the entry can be found. Only thing is I can't view them in person as I live in Wellington, NZ.

That's all I have for now - I hope there are some great 'military' detectives out there willing to help in our quest.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Bev

Wellington

New Zealand

:rolleyes:

Bev,

OK, lets stick with what we know, I dont think the Beveridge in the POW is your man. The Highland 41st is not the Royal Artillery.

Do we have a place of birth for his daugther written on the birth cert. Was thier any other children in the family?

What we can ascertain at the moment is he must have been in England in January 1917, Do we have the mothers name i.e. Morris Beveridge wife.

cheers Aaron.

Kia ora Aaron,

I agree the POW Beveridge is not my man.

Information from birth certificate. Daughter's name was Jessie Stewart BEVERIDGE. Born 18 Oct 1917 at 14 Banstead Street, Peckham, Camberwell, County of London. Father Morris Blair BEVERIDGE, mother Mary BEVERIDGE formerly CRAWFORD. Occupation of father: Gunner, Royal Field Artillery. Morris was home at that address when his daughter was born in Oct 1917. He registered his daughter on 22nd Oct 1917.

Another son was Morris Fairley BEVERIDGE born 6 Mar 1911 in Cathcart, Scotland. He married Gertrude M SMITH in Croydon in 1937.

Another possible son is Dennis Crawford BEVERAGE (note spelling) born 28 Jul 1907 in Scotland died Sep 1998 in Brighton, Sussex.

More clues to work with. And that really is ALL the information I have.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bev

Wellington