Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reims

pooter

We will be staying in Reims shortly and I was wondering what advice about eating etc. anyone who has been recently can give. I understand that we will be in central Reims.

Brasserie Flo - Flo- is always on my list of choices for great food and they serve late too. I suggest reserving.

It's one of this group.

Gwyn

Another thought. Walking up the main street, with Cafe Leffe on the right-hand side, towards the golden statue, you come to a rather nice patisserie on the right hand side almost opposite les Gaulois (bar). If it's warm enough you can eat their quiches and savouries as well as their sweet foods outside on the pavement; but it's much nicer to buy enough for a picnic and take it down to the parks, which are surprisingly peaceful given that traffic is whizzzing round on all sides. I quite like seeing the owners of apartment-bound cats taking them for walks on leads. Has a certain atmosphere.

For gourmet food (Michelin * if it matters) I like les Armes de Champagne at l'Epine, a little drive away. Famous for a somewhat striking basilica. I slept next to an extremely well-known politician there! (There was a wall between us! And he snored!)

Can give names of some excellent viticulteurs for champagne if wished. I don't mean the major houses, I mean growers' champagne where you can visit, taste and buy.

Gwyn

I've driven through it at rush hour! Not to be reccommended. I always stay further on in the Marne valley nearer Eperney.

Aye

Malcolm

:D The memories!

I drove through Reims in the rush hour when I was 18. It was the first time I'd come across priorite a droite in practice, which made for some interesting experiences, and it's definitely not a place I'd be in again at that time of day if I can help it.

After circling the city centre a few times (seen the cathedral from virtually every angle), I eventually stopped on a big straight boulevard to ask a gendarme the way. As soon as I stopped the car he charged over to tell me I couldn't park there. In the nicest possible way I told him that I wasn't trying to park, I was trying to get out of the damn place!

Thanks for the replies lads

Wot about me? :(

Gwyn

You are forgiven. I admit to being cautious about revealing my gender online, so unless you'd clicked on my profile.......

Enjoy your trip!

Gwyn(eth)

You are forgiven. I admit to being cautious about revealing my gender online, so unless you'd clicked on my profile.......

Enjoy your trip!

Gwyn(eth)

I like keeping my gender secret on line too!

Paul(ette) ;)