Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds Rifles

mmm45

Hi

Can someone post an example of the 7th and 8th Batt West Yorkshire Regiment(Leeds Rifles) Cap badge.

Also would anyone know if there is a history written on them or is it incorporated into The West Yorks Regimental history the two volume £48 one.

Thanks

Ady

Guest calcaria

Ady,

Not sure if you have seen the following websites,

http://www.yorkshirevolunteers.org.uk/leedsrifles.htm

This site gives i believe an example of the Rifles Badge as well as a written history.

http://www.ronaldaddyman.wanadoo.co.uk/FLC.htm

A site telling of a visit by a group from Leeds to attend an unveiling ceremony of a British war memorial in the small French village of Fontaine-lez-Croisilles. Good pictures and a fascinating story.

Hope you find the above sites of interest and help.

Dave.

http://www.tadcaster-ww1-memorials.com/index.htm

Hello Ady,

You might also want to look at:

W.H. Scott [1923] 'Leeds in the Great War, 1914-1918: A Book of Rembrance'

The National Roll of the Great War [Vol 8]

Clifford Lackey [1983] 'Joshua Tetley...'

Nigel Grizzard [1981] 'Leeds Jewry and the Great War'

There are also a number of images which the West Yorkshire Archives and Leeds City Libraries hold, and which can also be accessed via the Leodis Database.

The links which the other Dave has kindly provided are also very useful too--particularly in the case of Ronald Addyman, whose website link is more reader friendly than the book itself. The hard cover version is littered with too many notes and distractions, which should have been placed either at the foot of the page, or at the end of the finished work. Nonetheless, it is a useful and authoritative account of the history of the Leeds Rifles, if not a little self-indulgent in its use of contemporary photos.

Regards,

Dave

Hi

Can someone post an example of the 7th and 8th Batt West Yorkshire Regiment(Leeds Rifles) Cap badge.

Also would anyone know if there is a history written on them or is it incorporated into The West Yorks Regimental history the two volume £48 one.

Thanks

Ady

Hi Ady,

Here are the cap badges. First off the 7th.

Keith

Hi Ady,

Here are the cap badges. First off the 7th.

Keith

And the 8th.

Hi Keith,

Do you have the badge of the Leeds University O.T.C. that you could possibly scan and post please?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid I don't collect OTC's. Sorry,

Keith

I have my Great Uncle's Leeds Rifles cap badge from 1914-1917. I think the design has changed since then does anyone know when this happened? The badge has lugs at the back rather than a slider, how would this have been attached to the cap. Are there many of these original badges still inexistance?

Sue

I have my great granfathers Leeds Rifles cap badge and shoulder titles from the 7th BN. I would post a picture but it's too big and im not sure how to reduce it so look at my avatar. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Elliot

I have my great granfathers Leeds Rifles cap badge and shoulder titles from the 7th BN. I would post a picture but it's too big and im not sure how to reduce it so look at my avatar. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Elliot

Elliot,

I for one would certainly like to have a look at a bona-fide 7th Leeds Rifles just for comparison with my own which I'm certain is OK too. I use a photo editor called IRFANVIEW which you can get on a free download from Google, etc. With this you can reduce photos down to the limits, either to size or pixels required by this forum or others. I like the titles too, wouldn't mind them myself.

Keith

Well i've downloaded the software i just can't seem to take a decent photo the badge due to the lighting. I will however try again tomorrow. I have had more success with the scanner but only for the titles as the badge hasn't come out very well.

Elliot