Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Servicemen

mmbennett

Just a question that has intrigued me, as to whether any Americans served with the British/Canadian forces before the official entry of the U.S. into the war on April 4th 1917. In the Second World War, Americans were serving in British and Commonwealth forces, most notably RAF Fighter and Bomber Commands, and I'm wondering if there was a similar situation in the Great War.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

There were quite a few Americans serving particularly with the CEF, my Great Uncle was one of them. If you search through the forum you will find other threads regarding Americans serving in Allied units before April of 1917.

Take care,

Neil

Matt, there were Americans (at least people born in America) in the German Army too...

Jan

Matt

I have a number of personal accounts written by Americans who served with the BEF or CEF before 1917. If you want more details contact me off forum and I will put together a list for you.

Garth

In the unit I am researching, there were about 10 Americans (out of 900-1000). I can't apply this percentage to other units, though. It recruited out of big cities/towns in Québec. A unit recruiting from the countryside in a Prairie province might see fewer Yanks.

Peter (in Ottawa)

There were as many as 50000 US in Canadian Army according to an unpublished masters degree thesis I have, prior estimate was about 35000.

For one example see below.

McClintock's brother Robert served in the Fench Army & transferred to US in 1917.

If you look at Stand To! January 2003 I think is the one, you will see my article on a Kentucky soldier in the NZ Army.

And, by the way, THE GODLESS YANKEES LOST THE WORLD SERIES!!!

Large numbers of Americans served in the Canadian army in WW1, and this has gone on in every war either nation has taken part in. Some 50,000 Canadians (or more properly at the time British North Americans) served in the American Civil War. Over fifty Canadians have won the American Medal of Honor, including the only US Coast Guard award in WW2, and one in Vietnam. Thousands of Canadians served in the US forces in Vietnam, including the son of the Canadian Chief of the General Staff, Gen.J.A.Dextrase,CBE,DSO. His son won a Silver Star with the US Marines before being killed in action. Some two dozen Canadians died with Custer at the Little Big Horn.

In my local cemetary one Civil War vet is buried.

There were four American Victoria Cross winners in the Canadian forces in World War One, or I should say, four American-born winners. Two of them, Ralph Zengel and George Mullin had been born in the US but their families had immigrated to Canada when they were children (Mullin was two years old). They grew up north of the border and returned after the war, spending the rest of their lives here and serving in the Canadian army again in World War Two.

The other two were Americans who came to Canada for the express purpose of enlisting. William Metcalf crossed the border from his home in Maine to join up, and Bellendon Hutchison was a doctor from Illinois. They both returned to their homes in the US after the war.

With respect to Americans serving in the Canadian forces before 1917, we must remember that our modern notion of citizenship had not quite matured at that time. Nationality was determined by place of birth, although immigrants could be legally "naturalized".

Many "Americans" by birth were actually "Canadians" by naturalization. Unfortunately, the official documents usually only tell us the place of birth.

I have, in fact, gone through some attestation papers for some local units. For the 66th (Edmonton Overseas) Battalion, of the 1283 men whose place of birth I have found (out of 1649 total), 96 were born in the U.S.A.

(Since I have spent the time and effort collecting such numbers you can safely assume that I have no life, and my social priorities are completely out of whack)!