Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war memorials

john w.

If you saw my last posting about my village war memorial..

I know that there are many PALs who are researching their memorials and the end results are impressive....

Anyone given any thought to those from World War 2 who are listed?

1. Service records are not going to be available for some time and so the resources we have available are going to be limited.

2. We do though have one resource that isnt avaialble for WW1 and that is poeple are still alive who lived in WW2

Are there any PALs record keeping now.. by audio or video that will then compliment the WW2 records when they become available

Any thoughts? anyone doing it?

John

John

I havnt yet started to do the WW2 on my memorials, but the task is looming as I can see the light at the end of the WW1 research tunnel (he said, mixing his metaphors). What I've tried to do with the WW1 guys is to detail the peronal information available and then to write up a bit about the "what happened the day they died".

I'm not intending to do the WW2 men in such detail, mainly because the hsitory doesnt interest as much. So I think, it will just be restricted to the personal stuff (brief details from CWGC, newspaper obituary, etc)

John

B)

The causes of death of Royal Navy personnel for WW2 are available at the PRO.

I am away from my office at the moment and so I can't look up the reference in the ADM series. I am sure another Pal will oblige.

John

Researching those commemorated on WW2 memorials can (but not always) be easier than those of WW1.

There is often the advantage of surviving parents/siblings/wife/children who sometimes are still living in the same house so a trawl of street and telephone directories often enables a personal contact to me made with a relative who has additional information/photo/medals.

A letter in the press also often brings info from friends/neighbours who remember the person commemorated.

I would urge PALS where-ever possible to 'tape' any interviews and place a copy in the local museum and/or with the Local History Society.

Town Councils may also have records of the actions taken in raising the commemoration.

In my experience the numbers involved are less.

Dave

My thoughts exactly... at a local tape the interviews, leave them till the resources become available and then the two can be matched together, by that time some of us may be history...

It can be our legacy

John

I am in touch with an ex-officer of the 51st HD who has ammassed a large collection of statements and recordings which I believe he has bequeathed to the Liddel Centre in Leeds Uni. The RBL are also among those gathering information from its members.

Aye

Malcolm

Today I have been given information from The RBL branch in the village and hope to start just the same here.

Perhaps our researches into WW1 should tell us something, the artefacts and papers are nothing without the human record as well... lets try to go for it for the next generation of researchers...

John