Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poperinge Firing Post

Glenn

I was there the day before yesterday and the post is back in the Town Hall yard, although not quite in the same spot as before. The wall that it used to stand against is gone but the post is in almost the same spot, against another nearby wall. (There's no way of knowing, of course, whether the former position was the exaxct original wartime position anyway.) The post stands on a semicircular stone slab, and there is a gap of about 10 inches between the stone and the surrounding new courtyard paving, filled with soil at the moment, so it looks as if they are going to plant something in the gap or fill it with gravel. At the moment, the post isn't enclosed in the perspex tube which used to surround it.

Access to the cells and the courtyard is back to normal.

Tom

Didn't the old wall have bullet-holes in it, or was that my over-active imagination?

I don't think it was the original wall. I always got the impression that it was an "add-on" wall to provide a backdrop to the post when it was decided to exhibit it where it was. Some bricks were painted, some weren't, as if the wall had been built of already-old bricks.

If the post was really set against a wall like this, then I guess there would also be a wall of sandbags against the wall, to stop the bullets.

Tom

Was there yesterday with a group, and just as Tom says it is now set in a set of flag-stones, surrounded but what will probably be a flower bed, and at a slighty different place and angle to as it was before. It is no longer covered in a plastic tube, which looks better - but I wonder how long it will last? The death cells were open as usual. Despite the building work it continues to be an impressive location.